These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #41
SoftMacho
Moore Soul
 
SoftMacho's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 3,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
This is undeniably a promising development.
Undeniably? Iíd much prefer a sax replacement.
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #42
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 14,839
You wanted to replace Jeff, or you want a second sax player, instead of Boyd. Sorry, confused.
__________________
May you dine on weeds made bitter by the piss of drunkards.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #43
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com
 
BrokenThings's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
You wanted to replace Jeff, or you want a second sax player, instead of Boyd. Sorry, confused.

me also
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 AM   #44
crazycreep
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Macedonia, OH
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
Undeniably? I’d much prefer a sax replacement.
That would be awesome...someone more soulful like Leroi.
#ReleasetheCoffin
__________________
"Could you call me taxi, call me a whore, I don't care anymore" -DM
crazycreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #45
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I was thinking about ray too, but unfortunately he’s been very sick recently.



And amen on Jeff. #ReleaseTheCoffin


#OpenTheCoffin
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
let the children write the sets
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #46
drh424s
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,704
Still prefer a replacement violin but this guys talents are undeniable
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #47
SoftMacho
Moore Soul
 
SoftMacho's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 3,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
You wanted to replace Jeff, or you want a second sax player, instead of Boyd. Sorry, confused.
Meant violin
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #48
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 14,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
Meant violin
Ah. That makes more sense.

Anyway, I really only meant that comment to be juxtaposed against the previous sentence, about them not bringing in any replacement. Itís undeniably more promising than that. But I do think that this opens up more possibilities than a straight violin replacement. Although, as Iíve said previously, that would have been fine with me too.
__________________
May you dine on weeds made bitter by the piss of drunkards.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #49
SoftMacho
Moore Soul
 
SoftMacho's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 3,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Ah. That makes more sense.

Anyway, I really only meant that comment to be juxtaposed against the previous sentence, about them not bringing in any replacement. Itís undeniably more promising than that. But I do think that this opens up more possibilities than a straight violin replacement. Although, as Iíve said previously, that would have been fine with me too.
That makes more sense too
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #50
JoeyB
this maze
 
JoeyB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Massapequa, NY
Posts: 1,224
Id be down for Kasmasi to replace Jeff and Michael Kang to replace BT.
__________________
- Joe
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:47 AM   #51
mattinmass
heady
 
mattinmass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: just another city again
Posts: 20,729
This guy is gonna have a bunch of canned synth violin sounds/parts - isn't he? canned strings + canned horns...time to pack it up

hope i'm wrong
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #52
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 14,839
So do I. I’m really hoping that if they bring in keys they use them as keys and not synthesized strings. That would be awful.
__________________
May you dine on weeds made bitter by the piss of drunkards.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #53
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....
 
bsan83's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 26,341
I can't imagine he'd spend the whole time playing strings on keys. I know they have some questionable taste sometimes (to put it kindly), but that would be so obviously brutal.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:38 AM   #54
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 14,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
I can't imagine he'd spend the whole time playing strings on keys. I know they have some questionable taste sometimes (to put it kindly), but that would be so obviously brutal.
Yeah, I really donít think thatís whatís going to happen, but it also doesnít seem impossible.
__________________
May you dine on weeds made bitter by the piss of drunkards.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #55
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...
 
JamSession v2.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 15,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
I know they have some questionable taste sometimes (to put it kindly)
__________________
-Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #56
wiebrod
 
wiebrod's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
So do I. Iím really hoping that if they bring in keys they use them as keys and not synthesized strings. That would be awful.
Agreed. Really like the prospect of having keys back in their sound, hopefully this rumor is legit and they use it like you mentioned.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #57
Welsh
Would you play by the rules?
 
Welsh's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 7,789
Wow, this thread has the exact reasons I can't stand discussing DMB with DMB fans. To say Rashawn sounds cheesy or gimmicky shows a ridiculous lack of understanding of brass in a rock setting. To say "open" or "release" the Coffin and find another sax player with more "soul" is equally naive and narrow. This is not a soulful band in the live setting anymore. Jeff is UNDERUSED and is horribly misused at most times. Why he is not the featured solo artist, rather than another shredded Tim guitar solo, is unbeknownst to me. And finally, we have no way of knowing what Strong brings as far as his keys. We don't know if he features more modern synth (replacement sounds for Boyd) or more organic key sounds like Page McConnell (Moog synth, Clavinet, Hammond organ, or Fender Rhodes).

In 2018, there are 3 things I want more of...new and different solo spots for Jeff to experiment with (new horns, new effects pedals, etc). Not just trade offs on Jimi, Rapunzel, and Grey, and an occasional masterpiece like YNK or LITHOG...same as above for Rashawn...and a lot less from Tim Reynolds. Tasteful solos and a couple powerful moments sure. The guy is a true innovator of the instrument. Why not use him that way in the live setting? Let him play acoustic. Encourage him to use more effects. And turn him the hell down in the mix.
__________________
-Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbphan1
As long as they can suck the rust off a trailer hitch, its all good to me.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #58
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 21,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Wow, this thread has the exact reasons I can't stand discussing DMB with DMB fans. To say Rashawn sounds cheesy or gimmicky shows a ridiculous lack of understanding of brass in a rock setting. To say "open" or "release" the Coffin and find another sax player with more "soul" is equally naive and narrow. This is not a soulful band in the live setting anymore. Jeff is UNDERUSED and is horribly misused at most times. Why he is not the featured solo artist, rather than another shredded Tim guitar solo, is unbeknownst to me. And finally, we have no way of knowing what Strong brings as far as his keys. We don't know if he features more modern synth (replacement sounds for Boyd) or more organic key sounds like Page McConnell (Moog synth, Clavinet, Hammond organ, or Fender Rhodes).

In 2018, there are 3 things I want more of...new and different solo spots for Jeff to experiment with (new horns, new effects pedals, etc). Not just trade offs on Jimi, Rapunzel, and Grey, and an occasional masterpiece like YNK or LITHOG...same as above for Rashawn...and a lot less from Tim Reynolds. Tasteful solos and a couple powerful moments sure. The guy is a true innovator of the instrument. Why not use him that way in the live setting? Let him play acoustic. Encourage him to use more effects. And turn him the hell down in the mix.
This is exactly what I meant when I said #releasethecoffin

I mean, it was a joke / play off release the kraken, but it was just saying he needs to be let loose.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #59
SeekUpAB
 
SeekUpAB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Wow, this thread has the exact reasons I can't stand discussing DMB with DMB fans. To say Rashawn sounds cheesy or gimmicky shows a ridiculous lack of understanding of brass in a rock setting. To say "open" or "release" the Coffin and find another sax player with more "soul" is equally naive and narrow. This is not a soulful band in the live setting anymore. Jeff is UNDERUSED and is horribly misused at most times. Why he is not the featured solo artist, rather than another shredded Tim guitar solo, is unbeknownst to me. And finally, we have no way of knowing what Strong brings as far as his keys. We don't know if he features more modern synth (replacement sounds for Boyd) or more organic key sounds like Page McConnell (Moog synth, Clavinet, Hammond organ, or Fender Rhodes).

In 2018, there are 3 things I want more of...new and different solo spots for Jeff to experiment with (new horns, new effects pedals, etc). Not just trade offs on Jimi, Rapunzel, and Grey, and an occasional masterpiece like YNK or LITHOG...same as above for Rashawn...and a lot less from Tim Reynolds. Tasteful solos and a couple powerful moments sure. The guy is a true innovator of the instrument. Why not use him that way in the live setting? Let him play acoustic. Encourage him to use more effects. And turn him the hell down in the mix.
Christ dude. Yes, please tell us again how Rashawn is actually good.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #60
DIDO36
mailing it in since 2005
 
DIDO36's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Starkville, MS
Posts: 722
first of all, trumpet doesn't really even fit into DMBs sound that well. On top of that he playes way too loud and fast. It really gets annoying actually.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.09433 seconds with 19 queries