These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #7381
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Yes, these vaccines are our chance. The capitol riot will look like Disney world if we aren’t headed back to normal by summer. Also, Moderna said ‘at least a year,’ there have been some indications it could be much longer.
Yeah, I thought I saw maybe a couple years.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #7382
Josh.0

It’s going to last, in most, for much longer than a year.

MUCH longer. All other coronaviruses that develop antibody responses produce long-term T and B cells responses. It’s the same viral family as MERS and SARS, both of which have former patients carrying T/B cell immunity to this day, 10, 15, 20 years after infection.

At worst some will need boosters. The ultimate answer out of the pandemic rests in widespread T/B cell testing, not “initial wave” antibody testing.

—-

Speaking of COVID-19, I’ve had a horrible cough, a slight headache, and some bouts of fatigue over the last 24 hours. It feels like a minor cold, but I’m getting a rapid test later today just to make sure.

With that said it’s amazing if I’m wearing a fucking mask all day every day, social distancing, barely going out, and barely seeing anyone and am somehow still managing to catch what would be my third cold in this past year.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #7383
mario

But on Wednesday, [Only registered users can see links.] that have put it up to two months behind its initial production schedule. The report comes amid growing anticipation for data from Johnson & Johnson’s (ticker: JNJ) Phase 3 trial of the vaccine, [Only registered users can see links.]

[Only registered users can see links.]

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #7384
Josh.0

Why this isn’t being reported widely...who knows? Let’s keep hearing about last week’s “insurrection,” MSM, because that’s the most important thing going on in America right now:

Quote:
Researchers tracked a group of COVID-19 survivors for up to eight months after their infection, and found about 95 percent had strong levels of bespoke immune cells specially tailored to fight SARS-Co-V2.

Their findings suggest the vast majority of COVID-19 survivors have the immune cells needed to fight reinfection for at least eight months and potentially much longer, based on projections from the data gathered so far.

“It certainly looks like there’s going to be immune memory for multiple years and it wouldn’t be surprising for there to be substantial immune memory for ten years,” said study co-author Dr. Shane Crotty, an LJI professor.

The team measured the levels of antibodies, memory B cells and two kinds of T cells in the blood of 188 COVID-19 patients, many of whom were located in San Diego.

This was the largest study of its kind to measure all four components of immune memory for any virus, Dr. Crotty said.

“The results for almost all the metrics we did were better than we had hoped for,” he said.

Although other studies have shown a potentially concerning decline in COVID-19 antibodies over time, the researchers at LJI showed other bespoke immune cells continued to stand guard in the body, ready to sound the alarm and call in reinforcements should a patient encounter the virus again.

"Our data suggest that the immune response is there—and it stays," said study co-author Dr. Alessandro Sette, another LJI professor.
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:16 PM   #7385
jeff1818

Quote:
Why this isn’t being reported widely...who knows? Let’s keep hearing about last week’s “insurrection,” MSM, because that’s the most important thing going on in America right now:

That's very interesting. Maybe this isn't widely known as not to discourage vaccine usage. These survivors should get the vaccine. People may think "hey, i'm all good" and move on too quickly. Who knows, I'm just thinking out loud.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #7386
mario

[Only registered users can see links.] , once and for all, to the idea that "it's just the flu"
As COVID-19 raged last year, the seasonal flu all but vanished, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

During the 2019 flu season from Sept. 29 to Dec. 28, [Only registered users can see links.] more than 65,000 cases of influenza nationwide. During the same period this flu season, the agency reported 1,016 cases.
Masks and social distancing eradicated the flu, yet the coronavirus continues to feast in the same environment.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
Old 01-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #7387
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I will say it is almost unbelievable the flu is down 95% this season. The distancing, to me makes the most sense to be the biggest factor contributing to that, but the coco is still killing all the same people the flu normally would. If the thunder don’t get you then the lightning will...

What is so crazy to me is what we will learn about covid going forward. On one hand it seems like the most contagious, unstoppable virus there is. On the other, I know multiple families where one person got it, was in the house for many days with the virus, and no one else got sick. Including the people that sleep four inches from the infected person’s face. The next few years are going to be fascinating as we learn how this virus works.

My wife was the only person in her office not to have any negative reaction to her second vaccine dose. They told her that is probably because she probably already had it.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #7388
Vorony

Quote:
I will say it is almost unbelievable the flu is down 95% this season. The distancing, to me makes the most sense to be the biggest factor contributing to that, but the coco is still killing all the same people the flu normally would. If the thunder don’t get you then the lightning will...

What is so crazy to me is what we will learn about covid going forward. On one hand it seems like the most contagious, unstoppable virus there is. On the other, I know multiple families where one person got it, was in the house for many days with the virus, and no one else got sick. Including the people that sleep four inches from the infected person’s face. The next few years are going to be fascinating as we learn how this virus works.

My wife was the only person in her office not to have any negative reaction to her second vaccine dose. They told her that is probably because she probably already had it.
As I said in the other thread, my wife has it now. Diagnosed early this week. So I’ll be back to let everyone know what happens to me too. I don’t feel anything symptom-wise, and she has very mild symptoms now. I’ll likely get tested early next week to confirm.
Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #7389
Mersh

Quote:

I know some people that happened to. Half the household got it and the other half didn’t.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #7390
Josh.0

Same.

Got tested today, we’ll see what happens in the next 24-48 hours, which is when the results are expected to be posted.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #7391
Josh.0

And I want to add, I have a personal theory as to why some people in a household get it while others don’t.

Cross-immunity. This has been talked about since May.

The other people have had coronavirus strains of the common cold in the past and memory-cell (T/B) immunity has protected them from symptomatic reinfection.

There’s literally no other logical explanation. Some other type of less-severe coronavirus infected them in the past, they got over it, and now they’re protected.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #7392
mario

Quote:
Old 01-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #7393
mario

[A] new study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention....

The [Only registered users can see links.] found that counties with colleges enrolling more than 20,000 students that opted for in-person instruction for the fall 2020 semester experienced a 56% increase in the average number of COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people, while counties with large colleges that chose remote-only instruction saw a 17.9% decrease.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #7394
jeff1818

If we had unlimited hospital capacity, would we just let covid run rampant and let things fall as they will fall? Eventually we need to move on from the lockdowns.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #7395
Josh.0

CNN should be embarrassed by this headline, knowing damn well the vast majority of readers don’t read past it. This is borderline journalistic malpractice.

Then when you click into this bullshit click-bait headline:

Unreal. How their editors continuously let shit like this fly is insane. The study wasn’t able to confirm anything beyond five months ***yet***, so it’s a ***minimum*** of five months. The headline reading “COVID infection gives five months of immunity” is insanely misleading and will lead many people into believing that they will, for a fact, be susceptible six months after infection, which does not appear to be the case at all.

CNN is honestly starting to move ahead of Fox News in their misleading, sensationalist bullshit reporting. If CNN is your primary source of news, you really should consider switching to something else. I don’t even think MSNBC or the NYT have gotten this bad, just read those if you insist on something with a liberal slant. But CNN is an all out embarrassment at this point to folks with a background in journalism.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #7396
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I believe the length of immunity results from the severity of the initial infection, no? The higher the viral load, the longer the immunity. I would think the big problem with that headline is dumb anti vaxers will read thst and conflate it with length of immunity from the vaccine. Then say they won’t put their body at risk for 6 mos immunity and take the shot 2x per year.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #7397
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
If we had unlimited hospital capacity, would we just let covid run rampant and let things fall as they will fall? Eventually we need to move on from the lockdowns.
Are you asking "would" or "should"?

And if it's "would", frankly, you have to clarify if you're what Trump would do or what Scientists/Doctors/Biden would do in that situation.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #7398
Josh.0

Quote:
I believe the length of immunity results from the severity of the initial infection, no? The higher the viral load, the longer the immunity. I would think the big problem with that headline is dumb anti vaxers will read thst and conflate it with length of immunity from the vaccine. Then say they won’t put their body at risk for 6 mos immunity and take the shot 2x per year.
Everything you just said is correct.

They easily could have fit “at least” into that headline. The white space is there. The fact that they literally chose not to, and in doing so delivered a very misleading message to those that don’t click into the story, is so aggravating it’s beyond words.

This is why people cannot have blind loyalty to any one news outlet. It’s a business, they’re there to make money. When I saw that, I thought “what? Only five months? That’s not what I’ve read,” so I clicked. They made money. Then I saw I was misled.

I’m tired of this shit. Trump is an asshole, but he’s not entirely wrong on the state of US media. It’s a total dumpster fire right now. That was their third or fourth headline this morning and there’s no doubt hundreds of thousands or millions of people saw that, didn’t click into the story, and are now telling friends or family that COVID infection or vaccines lead to five months of protection. We still have people that think COVID kills 5–10% of people because of headlines like this from March and April.

It’s almost incitement by the media. It’s fucking bullshit. We need a new media outlet that isn’t incentivized to sensationalize everything because of advertising revenue generated from clicks. It needs to stop.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #7399
Josh.0

Here’s a truth people need to understand: headlines matter more than stories. In fact, 60-80% of readers (depending on your source) only read a headline. CNN knows this. Upwards of 70% share the story without reading past the headline.

This sensationalistic reporting bullshit needs to stop.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #7400
mario

[Only registered users can see links.] that you can't have a functioning economy in the middle of a pandemic:
Jobless claims in the first full week of January spiked to seasonally adjusted 965,000, a 23 percent increase from the previous week, and the highest weekly amount since August.

Bankrate senior economic analyst Mark Hamrick called the increase in new claims "shocking," and also linked it to the slow progress in fighting the pandemic.

Quote:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc