These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #4321
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Itís important both so parents have a chance to earn a living and kids have a chance to earn an education.

Iím sorry to hear about your niece, that sounds awful. She sounds like an outlier case for someone her age. I, too, have had younger folks in my extended family that have tested positive (in MA) but they have all had mild or no symptoms. Genuinely hoping your nieceís condition improves.
I realize itís important but I truely believe we need to get spread under control first. I realize all states and counties arenít created equal spread wise but in my county, we have a R0 just above 1.1 and weíre re-opening monday. My MiL is a bus driver as her second job and sheís scared to death.

I appreciate it. She was negative for the virus via the nasal swab but positive for it in her spinal fluid. She had to have a sedated MRI because her body ticks are so bad and they came out of nowhere.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:00 PM   #4322
Dubs

Quote:
I also donít like nepotism (you should see how rampant it is in Denver, itís right up there with Nashville), but we also donít know the guyís qualifications. People hire people they know all the time. If heís unqualified, then I agree that itís ridiculous. If he is qualified then thatís nothing more than a catchy headline.
I read the article and know of his qualifications. I just donít like Trumpís nepotism. Itís never been more blatant and obvious under a president ever and it only looks like theyíre looking out for themselves and not the country. I honestly believe Trump is pumping tax payer money back to himself via his properties and his golf courses. I think if he loses the election heíll be prosecuted for money laundering, if he doesnít flee the country. (100% serious)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:42 AM   #4323
greykitkat36

Quote:
American politics are just ideologies, theyíre not these inherent good and evil oppositional forces. Real life isnít Star Wars. Both parties think theyíre the Jediís, and this constant lack of true self-awareness and self-reflection is why I canít stand either of them (but I donít think either are intentionally evil). The fact that neither can reflect on what they do wrong and both always seem to consider an alternative idea ďthe wrong ideaĒ is suffocating, frustrating, and detrimental to all of us.
I'm on the same page with you here. The divisive-ness is out of control, and mostly blame the scumbag media. I think both Dems and republicans both have good points, and I think the best case scenario is somewhere in the middle. Dems have great ideas for social issues and environment, and republicans have the best solutions for economic and geopolitical issues imo. But for some reason we can't just adopt the good policies from both and combine it. There must be a "one side fits all". I hate that.

Like, I hate that China has been bascially raping us for years and essentially bankrupting our economy but at the same time I think abortion is the women's choice and she should be able to decide what she wants. What's so hard about that?
Old 08-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #4324
Mersh

Agreed, too much partisan bickering. It is simple Democrats reactions to Covid are meant to destroy the economy and people’s livelihoods for political reasons and criticism of the federal governments response/administration’s response is partisan hackery.

I can’t find a wink emoji. I am truly being good natured here.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #4325
gweeps
homesick android

It's the semicolon + ).

Old 08-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #4326
Mersh

Ah yes.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #4327
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I'm on the same page with you here. The divisive-ness is out of control, and mostly blame the scumbag media. I think both Dems and republicans both have good points, and I think the best case scenario is somewhere in the middle. Dems have great ideas for social issues and environment, and republicans have the best solutions for economic and geopolitical issues imo. But for some reason we can't just adopt the good policies from both and combine it. There must be a "one side fits all". I hate that.

Like, I hate that China has been bascially raping us for years and essentially bankrupting our economy but at the same time I think abortion is the women's choice and she should be able to decide what she wants. What's so hard about that?
To put it simply. In a two party system there will always be division.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #4328
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post

Yep. Registered as an independent when I turned 18. Never even considered registering as a Democrat or a Republican
Old 08-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #4329
zaphod!

serious question, not knowing all the fine details of your system: what difference does it make what you "register" as? seems like a weird concept to register your allegiance to any side in the first place.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #4330
Wildcats82

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
serious question, not knowing all the fine details of your system: what difference does it make what you "register" as? seems like a weird concept to register your allegiance to any side in the first place.
The only thing is the primaries. The main presidential nominees are Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Republican and Democrat. The primaries decide who the nominee is. To vote in the Republican primary you have to register as a Republican. Same with Democrats. A few states have different rules, but that is the majority of the country.

Past that it is pretty much irrelevant.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #4331
zaphod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
The only thing is the primaries. The main presidential nominees are Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Republican and Democrat. The primaries decide who the nominee is. To vote in the Republican primary you have to register as a Republican.

Past that it is pretty much irrelevant.
besides being able to say "i'm a registered independent", what is the advantage of registering as an independent?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #4332
Wildcats82

no advantages, just being a smug asshole
Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #4333
Wildcats82

But really it's a matter of fundraising, polls, and other such nonsense.

George Washington warned against political parties. It's a damn shame no one listened.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #4334
Wildcats82

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.” - George Washington
Old 08-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #4335
zaphod!

oh yeah, your two party system is fucking killing you guys. especially since its "democrat vs republican" at every. freakin. level. of government.

here in canada, we have completely different parties at the federal level than we do at the provincial level. some of the party names might coincide, but generally they are very different entities. and at almost every level, we've got three or four different major parties to choose from. while we do have some partisan hackery, it usually only really shows it face during our three week electoral period, and then mostly disappears.

yes, that's right, our elections get announced and its about 3 weeks of campaigning and then its over. in the US, its like you're constantly in election season: as soon as the midterms end, the presidential race begins. as soon as the presidential election ends, people are talking about the midterms.

its really no wonder to me why you guys are constantly at eachothers' throats. social media bubbles and 24-hour cable news has made it so much worse, too.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #4336
Wildcats82

Campaigning is the worst part of the system. I personally love the Constitution and the system we have. With the exception of campaigning.

I would LOVE the system Canada and England use. You get a few weeks and that is it.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #4337
Josh.0

Quote:
besides being able to say "i'm a registered independent", what is the advantage of registering as an independent?
In Colorado we get both ballots during primary season and can choose which one to place a vote on and submit.

Also, it feels easier to be open minded (pro choice and pro second amendment, for example) without tribal backlash. In the US Democrats overwhelmingly hang out with Democrats and Republicans do the same, though to a slightly lesser degree IMO. Being independent makes me feel like there’s a tiny crack to speak with other side without worrying about what my bubble/tribe will think. I have many friends on both sides of the isle whereas my friends on either side of the isle almost only hang out with people on their end and a maybe handful of moderates.

Especially on the left. All of my liberal friends don’t even consider talking to or hanging out with conservatives, it’s not even a fleeting thought. I’m as far right as they’ll bother with, and I’m dead center. I remember when I was much more left I’d go to places like Tennessee, Texas, and Florida for work and be around a lot of conservatives that enjoyed hanging out with me and didn’t give a shit that I was “left.”

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.

Last edited by Josh.0; 08-01-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #4338
Josh.0

Quote:
oh yeah, your two party system is fucking killing you guys. especially since its "democrat vs republican" at every. freakin. level. of government.

here in canada, we have completely different parties at the federal level than we do at the provincial level. some of the party names might coincide, but generally they are very different entities. and at almost every level, we've got three or four different major parties to choose from. while we do have some partisan hackery, it usually only really shows it face during our three week electoral period, and then mostly disappears.

yes, that's right, our elections get announced and its about 3 weeks of campaigning and then its over. in the US, its like you're constantly in election season: as soon as the midterms end, the presidential race begins. as soon as the presidential election ends, people are talking about the midterms.

its really no wonder to me why you guys are constantly at eachothers' throats. social media bubbles and 24-hour cable news has made it so much worse, too.
This is a really great and poignant post and I couldnít agree more with all of it.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #4339
Wildcats82

Quote:
In Colorado we get both ballots during primary season and can choose which one to place a vote on and submit.
In Indiana we have to choose. When I went in I was offered both, but I had to choose one.

Legally I am obligated to choose the party that I voted for in the last national election, but the government doesn't track that.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #4340
Dubs

Quote:
Mailing lists and personal info so to be spammed with shit. Besides the primaries.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc