These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #161
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Butch got to the point Rashawn has been at for a while.
I have no problem someone not missing Butch, not wanting him back, to each their own of course, but can you truly compare what Butch did with the band to what Rashawn did and is still doing. Butch never drowned out other members, squeeze in so much and make the arrangements too busy to enjoy, even classics like Rhyme & Reason feel so dense now. If someone didn't like what Butch added to the band, that's totally fine, but Butch's additions weren't overbearing.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #162
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

I miss the 00-04 Butch, anything after that was often pretty painful whether it was the drawn out Bartender solos or silly effects he'd use while doubling Dave.

I had this thought the other day while listening to the recent WH disc - 06-07 DMB sounds like what I would expect DMB to sound like 30-40 years into their career. There are exceptions of course. Rashawn was just figuring things out with Roi and a lot of their planned horn lines just did not sound good, Dave's voice was often shot, Butch's cheesy carnival effects, and the godawful Stand Up songs in rotation.

Thank god for Tim and 2008.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #163
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I have no problem someone not missing Butch, not wanting him back, to each their own of course, but can you truly compare what Butch did with the band to what Rashawn did and is still doing. Butch never drowned out other members, squeeze in so much and make the arrangements too busy to enjoy, even classics like Rhyme & Reason feel so dense now. If someone didn't like what Butch added to the band, that's totally fine, but Butch's additions weren't overbearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
to each their own

Of course a squawking trumpet is more overbearing than cheesy keyboard but I wasn't making a "Butch vs Rashawn: Who is worse" argument. The point I was making that for me Butch's bad outweighed the good, just like with Rashawn.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #164
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

I don't think this is going to be anyone's favorite Trax, but it's a good listen. By '04 standards, it's at best solid, perhaps a little subpar... Dave's voice isn't in top form, there are a few loose moments where downbeats don't land at the same time for everyone, and Carter is apparently too lazy to solo in Two Step (?). But Captain is unique and great to have, it's great to hear Butch in Warehouse and Two Step again, Dave nails the Bartender falsetto, and of course hearing all the 04 songs is a treat. Crazy/Easy and GGT are especially good, though I don't think either tops versions of those songs we have released already.

All in all, somewhere in the B/B+ range. I think there's certainly a place in the Trax series for solid, typical shows that represent the tour they were taken from well.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #165
d.m.bfan222
Nothing beats BTCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Nothing will ever make me miss Butch. Butch got to the point Rashawn has been at for a while. Some of what he did was good but that was outweighed by the bad stuff.
Agree he got worse over time like Rashawn has. I think Butch was still contributing for the better in 2004.
d.m.bfan222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #166
drh424s

The end of this warehouse makes me dislike rashawn just a bit more
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #167
drh424s

Does the bass and low ends seem really loud to anyone else?
Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #168
ggies
Sugar Will '04

After more than 10 years, we still don't have closure on what happened between end of '04 and '05 with SU. (Fuck you SU ). I need to know why the band members said no to Dave on these new songs. bah! =>=> =>
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #169
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Finally got a shipping notification!
priceofacoke910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #170
greykitkat36

I've never had a problem with Butch. I enjoyed all his solos and most of his contributions. Certain covers like Time Of The Season, Blackbird, Linus and Lucy would have never happened without him. He used some cheesy effects from time to time, but to me it didn't retract all that much.

Comparing him to Rashawn is pretty unnecessary..totally different instrument and totally different sound. And to be fair, Tim does a bunch of cheesy stuff too.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #171
drh424s

Not enjoying this one at all. Hate the mix and these performances seem very uninspired. But do like having another version of the 04 songs to reference.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #172
torres

This certaintly isn't going to crack any top 10 lists, but it is a fun listen.
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #173
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Listened today and I thought it was just decent. The Captain, Sugar Will, Warehouse run is far and away my favorite part of the show.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #174
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Well, I was goong to buy these flacs, but after the early reviews I’ll just be happy with the Springsteen Houston ‘78 flood relief offering I got earlier this week.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #175
Mitch

'04 Sugar Wills are pretty sweet.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #176
cryfreedom09

Finally immersing myself in this bad boy. Right kind of headphones too. Pretty excited as this my fist released live trax that I've attended. Love the Too Much's from this year and this Too Much and reprise is obviously special.

Side note. Ex wife nearly died at this show. We are leaving this show, stuck in traffic, and as always she's not prepared (type 1 diabetes). She takes her blood sugar and its 21. Not good. Thank God my sis had animal crackers in the car. Ex wife used to post here, but when I said bye to her, she said bye to DMB

Another side note: On the way to the show my sister had to pee sooooo bad, so she immediately found the absolute most ghetto side street to pull down and finds an amazing looking gas station (wasn't really amazing). She looks at the gas station and quickly realizes she's not going go inside, so she pops a squat behind the gas station. Anyways, I still give her shit about that
cryfreedom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #177
cryfreedom09

Finally immersing myself in this bad boy. Right kind of headphones too. Pretty excited as this my fist released live trax that I've attended. Love the Too Much's from this year and this Too Much and reprise is obviously special.

Side note. Ex wife nearly died at this show. We are leaving this show, stuck in traffic, and as always she's not prepared (type 1 diabetes). She takes her blood sugar and its 21. Not good. Thank God my sis had animal crackers in the car. Ex wife used to post here, but when I said bye to her, she said bye to DMB

Another side note: On the way to the show my sister had to pee sooooo bad, so she immediately found the absolute most ghetto side street to pull down and finds an amazing looking gas station (wasn't really amazing). She looks at the gas station and quickly realizes she's not going go inside, so she pops a squat behind the gas station. Anyways, I still give her shit about that
Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #178
LIOGwhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
I don't think this is going to be anyone's favorite Trax, but it's a good listen. By '04 standards, it's at best solid, perhaps a little subpar... Dave's voice isn't in top form, there are a few loose moments where downbeats don't land at the same time for everyone, and Carter is apparently too lazy to solo in Two Step (?). But Captain is unique and great to have, it's great to hear Butch in Warehouse and Two Step again, Dave nails the Bartender falsetto, and of course hearing all the 04 songs is a treat. Crazy/Easy and GGT are especially good, though I don't think either tops versions of those songs we have released already.

All in all, somewhere in the B/B+ range. I think there's certainly a place in the Trax series for solid, typical shows that represent the tour they were taken from well.

Bummer...reviews seem to be pretty meh and the saddest part about that is it was a golden opportunity to drop something form this tour like the hershey show that many people covet! I'll still probably pick this up but not as excited as I was. Huge '04 fan otherwise...
LIOGwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #179
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom09 View Post

I'm not sure what's better in this paragraph: the medicinal use of animal crackers or you getting DMB in your divorce
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #180
cryfreedom09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I'm not sure what's better in this paragraph: the medicinal use of animal crackers or you getting DMB in your divorce
Oh, totally the latter

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc