These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #181
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Booked my fall UK trip. Going for the match weekend of October 15, Arsenal hosting Swansea. We'll have to see when the actual schedule gets set what else I can go to over that weekend. A little bummed that the London schedule that weekend has the same home teams as last year's trip: Chelsea v Leicester, Palace v West Ham. Was hoping to see the new stadium or White Hart Lane before they demolish it. But seeing Leicester at Stamford Bridge would be cool. Also might take the train out of the city and see one outside of London on non-Arsenal day.
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #182
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I think Portugal win the Final.
Happy to see them win. Was anyone else really annoyed at the ESPN analysts, especially Steve McManaman, basically ripping Portugal for winning the way the did and saying they didn't deserve it.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #183
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfice6 View Post
Happy to see them win. Was anyone else really annoyed at the ESPN analysts, especially Steve McManaman, basically ripping Portugal for winning the way the did and saying they didn't deserve it.
I wasn't happy to see them win or even be there. Portugal blasted Iceland for playing this way against them, then turned around and did it in three of their four elimination matches. They won one match in regulation, including zero in the group stage against world powers such as Iceland, Austria and Hungary. Their goal was scored after a terrible handball call where the ball never got cleared again. It was the only major decision of the match and Clattenburg got it wrong and it led to the goal.

Plus, It's still all about Ronaldo everywhere. It's about how he told Eder he was going to score the winner. It's about his empassioned speech. Terrible that the match was affected by the best player being hurt so early, but whatever. It was a shit match won by a guy that couldn't hang on a low table club and was pushed out by Bafetimbi Gomis.

Congrats for advancing any way that you have to, I wouldn't be upset if I were Portuguese, but as I'm not, and they (maybe just Ronaldo, but Portugal is Ronaldo) slammed Iceland for the same cynical soccer, me rooting for France had more than just me rooting for Giroud and Koscielny.

On to the club season and a big one at home vs. Liverpool to start our season.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #184
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:

I am very happy that they won. First of all, I have always liked Portuguese soccer. My team is Benfica, after all.

Secondly, a lot of people did not think Portugal could do it. And that France was "destined" to win it. It showed me a lot when Portugal went into France's capital city, and beat the hosts, the favorites, in front of 80000. It was awesome.

I did not like the fact A LOT of soccer pundits disrespected Portugal for winning the Euro and how they won it. Sounds salty as usual.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #185
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
I wasn't happy to see them win or even be there. Portugal blasted Iceland for playing this way against them, then turned around and did it in three of their four elimination matches. They won one match in regulation, including zero in the group stage against world powers such as Iceland, Austria and Hungary. Their goal was scored after a terrible handball call where the ball never got cleared again. It was the only major decision of the match and Clattenburg got it wrong and it led to the goal.

Plus, It's still all about Ronaldo everywhere. It's about how he told Eder he was going to score the winner. It's about his empassioned speech. Terrible that the match was affected by the best player being hurt so early, but whatever. It was a shit match won by a guy that couldn't hang on a low table club and was pushed out by Bafetimbi Gomis.

Congrats for advancing any way that you have to, I wouldn't be upset if I were Portuguese, but as I'm not, and they (maybe just Ronaldo, but Portugal is Ronaldo) slammed Iceland for the same cynical soccer, me rooting for France had more than just me rooting for Giroud and Koscielny.

On to the club season and a big one at home vs. Liverpool to start our season.
Portugal was a 3rd place team that played like it. After the group stages, they caught fire. Ronaldo is one of the world's best players and has more Nat'l team hardware than Leo. He is their star and played like it in the tournament. I saw a Ronaldo that put this team on his back after(and during) the game against Hungary.

It sucked to see him leave in the 13th min, I thought Santos would have to put in someone else and move to a 3-5-2 to get chances for Sances, but he was invisible for the whole game. Add to the fact that Portugal gave the ball away so much, and France could not capitalize on it. [But] Santos decision to put Eder in, leave Carvalho and move Serie A's worst player to a center position was VITAL. I said to my brother, that Portugal looked better without Ronaldo b/c of Sances, Eder, Carvalho moving forward holding possession and creating chances.

Rui Patrico should have been player of the game. He made some insane saves, and never backed down with Griz down his throat. France choked, and it was a pleasure to watch.

The Final was indeed boring, but European soccer is boring sometimes. The whole Euro some/majority teams played in a shell, unlike some teams in the Copa America for comparison. At least in that Tournament mostly all teams in the Copa went balls to the wall. Look at the Argentina-Chile Final. It was an exciting game. I love Euro soccer, but some teams are too cautious, too often. Safe is death sometimes. Look at France. They had so much pressure and broke. Portugal didn't.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #186
celluloid hero

Quote:
After the group stages, they caught fire.
Caught fire? Is winning the only qualification for catching fire?

Round of 16 vs. Croatia - This was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. Won 1-0 in the 118th minute on a counter where neither team seemed to be trying.

Quarterfinal vs. Poland - This match wasn't any better, but at least there was a goal on each side.

Semifinal vs. Wales - Full props to Portugal. I wish Ramsey had played, but those are the rules and every team had yellow accumulation issues.

Final vs. France - already said my thoughts.

But they won them all and deserve the title because that is the end result. But catching fire? You guys can understand why no one wanted them to win when they slam a team for their playing style, then come out and play that style in three of the last four games including against 2 teams that they arguably should have come out and played their style, but didn't.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #187
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Caught fire? Is winning the only qualification for catching fire?

Round of 16 vs. Croatia - This was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. Won 1-0 in the 118th minute on a counter where neither team seemed to be trying.

Quarterfinal vs. Poland - This match wasn't any better, but at least there was a goal on each side.

Semifinal vs. Wales - Full props to Portugal. I wish Ramsey had played, but those are the rules and every team had yellow accumulation issues.

Final vs. France - already said my thoughts.

But they won them all and deserve the title because that is the end result. But catching fire? You guys can understand why no one wanted them to win when they slam a team for their playing style, then come out and play that style in three of the last four games including against 2 teams that they arguably should have come out and played their style, but didn't.

Group Stage:

Portugal played decent after the group stage. For the group games Portugal looked tired and boring. They picked it up however.
Advantage: Group Winners, Portugal was the Top 3rd Placed team.

Croatia:

They didn't deserve to beat Croatia, but they did. Croatia failed to score on 2 big chances, and looked timid at times. Portugal looked flat and made good HT decisions moving people around to a 4-4-2.
Advantage: Portugal

Poland: Poland played better in that game (imo), and both played for a draw. Poland absolutely was playing for a draw. Portugal was trying, but not their hardest in that game, imo.
Advantage: Portugal, but That's a 50/50 shot there. Poland missed a huge PK.

Wales was a good showing for Portugal

The Final...we know how that ended up.

So, when I say "caught fire" I might've used it in the wrong context. Portugal played well when they had too. To me, that's catching fire b/c no one had them in this Final, or even winning it. Playing an inspired game against Hungary, I believe the team caught fire after that game. (One of Ronaldo's best game as a Portuguese International, imo. He defended. He was the offensive catalyst. He scored twice. He set up 1 goal. He is Portugal's spark after Nani)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #188
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Sam Allardyce the new England Manager

Very uninspiring choice in my opinion. I guess they plan on playing long ball, route 1 football because that's pretty much the norm from his teams.

Other than save a couple teams from relegation, what has he done to deserve this job?
Old 07-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #189
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Sam Allardyce the new England Manager

Very uninspiring choice in my opinion. I guess they plan on playing long ball, route 1 football because that's pretty much the norm from his teams.

Other than save a couple teams from relegation, what has he done to deserve this job?
Reading up on this guy...and it seems an uninspiring hire.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #190
The Godfather
#COYR

and speaking of new hires! Spain's got their guy:

Julen Lopetegui.

I am very happy with this hire. He knows Spain's youth system and is familiar with with the younger players.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #191
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Reading up on this guy...and it seems an uninspiring hire.
Yea, I'm not thrilled with this choice either.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #192
celluloid hero

Final boring Saturday morning of the year. Though, I watched Newcastle lose to Fulham yesterday, that was boring, but also on BeIn, by far my least favorite broadcaster, that didn't help.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #193
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Final boring Saturday morning of the year. Though, I watched Newcastle lose to Fulham yesterday, that was boring, but also on BeIn, by far my least favorite broadcaster, that didn't help.
I watched the game yesterday as well. I've never liked Rafa Benitez and I'll admit that it was pretty satisfying watching that smug prick on the sideline of a Championship team. BeIn is solid with their La Liga broadcasts but I agree, the rest is pretty sub par, those guys yesterday were terrible.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #194
celluloid hero

Excited, optimistic and a bit terrified for today's Liverpool match. The lineup shocked me a little. Walcott starting, Xhaka on the bench, two replacement centerbacks, one making his first division debut.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #195
JustinC

Nice tidy 3-1 win today and didn't even have Pogba.

11 shots
7 shot on goal
53% possession
3-1 Win

Last season it would have been
3 shots
1 shot on goal
68% possesion
1-0 Loss or 1-1 draw

But it's clear the sooner Rooney becomes just a rotation option the sooner the attack will improve. 5 years ago he has a hat trick with the chances he got today. Instead his 1 goal was a gift from Martial scuffing his shot and it bouncing to him for the easy head in and he just slows down play too much for a #10. I know it's fucked up but wouldn't mind if Rooney picks up a knock that keeps him out a couple of months
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #196
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Nice tidy 3-1 win today and didn't even have Pogba.

11 shots
7 shot on goal
53% possession
3-1 Win

Last season it would have been
3 shots
1 shot on goal
68% possesion
1-0 Loss or 1-1 draw

But it's clear the sooner Rooney becomes just a rotation option the sooner the attack will improve. 5 years ago he has a hat trick with the chances he got today. Instead his 1 goal was a gift from Martial scuffing his shot and it bouncing to him for the easy head in and he just slows down play too much for a #10. I know it's fucked up but wouldn't mind if Rooney picks up a knock that keeps him out a couple of months
I was thinking almost the same thing about the shots/possession. You can tell it's still a team in transition but I'm excited to see some actual intent for a change.

Who would you like to see at the 10? Not disagreeing with you by any means, just curious who you would slot in there from the current roster.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #197
JustinC

Ideally I liked to see Mkhitaryan. I know people have him banged on as a RW but he's actually played more as a #10 than a RW in his career.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #198
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Ideally I liked to see Mkhitaryan. I know people have him banged on as a RW but he's actually played more as a #10 than a RW in his career.
Fair choice, think Herrera could pull it off?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #199
JustinC

He'd be actually my second choice at the #10 and thinking about it I may prefer

-------------Ibra

--Martial---Ander---Miki

--------Pogba---Carrick/Schneiderlin/Fellaini

On another note, how about Bailly? If he plays like that consistently while also improving his game, talk about a steal at 32m. Fucking John Stones went for 50m, which ya I know English player and going from an EPL to EPL team which inflates it but still. Never have been impressed by Stones defensively.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #200
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

I could live with that lineup. Looks like Jose really like Fellani in that holding role, only time will tell how long it lasts. I'd prefer Schneiderlin in there as he seems to be a bit quicker with the ball distribution.

Bailly's been stellar so far. I know Smalling was suspended yesterday but he didn't feature at all in the preseason that I recall, is/was he hurt or is Jose leaning towards a central partnership of Blind/Bailly?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc