These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #81
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
training day is good soley because of his performance and character in that movie. that alone makes him a great actor. john q is only watchable because of him, and he carried american gangster. man on fire was kind of a mess but he carried that too. so really man, his movies are all good mainly because he is in them.
I agree with Training Day
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #82
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
didn't he direct dreamcatchers? .
nope
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #83
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver/Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,407
EDIT: Bah, nevermind

Ok to make this post somewhat worthwhile, the local theater is showing Monsters vs. Aliens Wednesday for cheap, thinking about taking the kids I look after to this. I really wanted to see this, did anybody else? Looked really funny.
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #84
Moses
TDCya
 
Moses's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Did you know that Dr. Seuss created that word? It's from his book If I Ran the Zoo.
really?
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #85
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6743 View Post
EDIT: Bah, nevermind

Ok to make this post somewhat worthwhile, the local theater is showing Monsters vs. Aliens Wednesday for cheap, thinking about taking the kids I look after to this. I really wanted to see this, did anybody else? Looked really funny.
I was very disappointed with it. But I'm not much of a Dreamworks animation fan to begin with apart from Ice Age.
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #86
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver/Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I was very disappointed with it. But I'm not much of a Dreamworks animation fan to begin with apart from Ice Age.
And Madagascar. I loved those movies.
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #87
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,616
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #88
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver/Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,407
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #89
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,616
[Only registered users can see links.]

still my most anticipated of the year
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #90
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver/Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]

still my most anticipated of the year
Same here, I really cannot wait for this. This book was like the epitome of my childhood. My grandpa would read it to me every time I saw him. It was great. This and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was another book I LOVED growing up, can't wait for the movie.
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #91
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 22,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by H78 View Post
Black Christmas
I hope you meant the original, which came out 4 years before Halloween but doesn't get the credit it deserves. Black Christmas (1974) is one of the creepiest films I have ever seen.

Also, it was directed by the same guy who did A Christmas Story. Bob Clark also directed the first 2 Porky's films.

Sadly, he along with his son were killed by a drunk driver in 2007.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #92
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 9,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I hope you meant the original, which came out 4 years before Halloween but doesn't get the credit it deserves. Black Christmas (1974) is one of the creepiest films I have ever seen.

Also, it was directed by the same guy who did A Christmas Story. Bob Clark also directed the first 2 Porky's films.

Sadly, he along with his son were killed by a drunk driver in 2007.
Of course I was talking about the 1974 version. I own about 5 of the one sheets (Silent Night, Evil Night)...one of which I had signed by Olivia Hussey (probably the most beautiful woman in the history of cinema, IMO).

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to Black Christmas, believe me. I like to pretend the remake doesn't exist. Good to see someone else knows about Bob Clark's non-Christmas Story accomplishments.

Carpenter, for Halloween, definitely stole concepts from Clark. Rumor is that Clark once asked Carpenter to work on a sequel for Black Christmas, and within a couple of years, Halloween was made.

That said, Halloween is one of my, if not my favorite movie(s). Clark definitely built the foundation, but the mastery of the POV-shot killer sequence is a house that Carpenter built. Also, the lighting in Halloween is unrivaled, especially for a color horror film.

I'm actually a big fan of 70's horror films in general. Suspiria, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Phantasm are a few other favorites.

Now for exposing my nerdy side, gweeps.
__________________
Yeedog referred me.

Last edited by Josh.0; 07-07-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #93
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver/Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,407
I'm looking forward to The Informant with Matt Damon, looks like that could be really good

Same with The Hurt Locker.
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #94
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 22,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by H78 View Post
Suspiria

Now for exposing my nerdy side, gweeps.
I just finished downloading most of Argento's work. Looks very interesting.

And .
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #95
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 9,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I just finished downloading most of Argento's work. Looks very interesting.

And .
Yeah, Suspiria is definitely an interesting flick, but I loved it. It's pretty slow for a horror film, but that's how I generally like them. I'm dying to find a one sheet for it, I think it's fantastic, but I can't ever come across one for less than $100.
__________________
Yeedog referred me.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #96
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 22,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by H78 View Post
Yeah, Suspiria is definitely an interesting flick, but I loved it. It's pretty slow for a horror film, but that's how I generally like them. I'm dying to find a one sheet for it, I think it's fantastic, but I can't ever come across one for less than $100.
One sheet?

EDIT: Ah, a poster.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #97
Define Dancing
 
Define Dancing's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,258
watched the majority of The Last Emperor last night but fell asleep for the last 40 minutes. very interesting in terms of 20th century Chinese history, which i had very little knowledge of. but overall the film seemed very fragmented and i lost interest. anyone else seen this?
__________________
"Poetry must be at least as powerful as music, but I am not sure that is possible." - George Oppen
Define Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #98
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Define Dancing View Post
watched the majority of The Last Emperor last night but fell asleep for the last 40 minutes. very interesting in terms of 20th century Chinese history, which i had very little knowledge of. but overall the film seemed very fragmented and i lost interest. anyone else seen this?
Many times, great film. Just picked up the Criterion Blu-ray not too long ago.
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #99
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver/Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,407
Does anyone else agree with me that Michael Clayton is an overrated pile of crap. I've never been so bored watching a movie in my entire life.
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #100
mja271
 
mja271's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 8,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6743 View Post
Does anyone else agree with me that Michael Clayton is an overrated pile of crap. I've never been so bored watching a movie in my entire life.
How Tilda Swinton won and Oscar for that is completely beyond me. 1) She was barely in the movie, and 2) there was absolutely nothing that stood out about her performance. I was shocked she was even nominated.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Paul Bearer was Kane's father, but not Undertaker's. Taker killed his parents in a funeral home fire, but Bearer knocked up Undertaker's mom with Kane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.18695 seconds with 18 queries