View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #81
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Tim is currently the only member that plays anything remotely interesting though. I would hate to see him go. I think a lot could be done with just toning down his rig a little bit--less overdrive/distortion...more clean tone, maybe work in the acoustic a little bit more.

You could be right about Jeff. But Jeff was doing a lot, and shredding solos back in '09 and '10 when Rashawn was still there. So, I'm not sure we can fully blame Rashawn for how Jeff's role has changed. Jeff himself could be enjoying the "musical direction" for all we know. I think he's been clear that he doesn't want to be Roi or even attempt to be.

And yeah, I know Bela is unrealistic as can be, but it's a pipedream for me. Unfortunately for your sake, I really don't see them doing anything with the lineup. I would be utterly shocked.
I do agree it would help a bit if Tim scaled it back some, but for me personally it still wouldn't do much for the overall sound because Rashawn is still involved. Someone mentioned Tim playing acoustic throughout an entire show and THAT would be interesting. I don't think what he's doing now is very interesting at all.

I'm not sure why you're mentioning Jeff not wanting to be Roi. I don't recall ever saying that, implying that, or ever reading on this board that someone wants that. Someone adding fills and tasteful layers through arrangements doesn't mean they're trying to copy someone. Rashawn had control of the horn section the moment Roi had that accident. So he helped Jeff's transition into the band (and Rashawn gets 100% credit for that) and Jeff's tone and flow are different from Roi so the first few years it was still new to a lot of people and the solos were packed full of power and aggressively playful riffs pushing Carter to react quicker than he was used to during a sax solo on say a #41 for example. But when the solos started to either go away, tone down, or started to be shared with Rashawn, that's when it became noticeable to people. It's not that in 2009 Jeff was adding all kinds of improvised riffs and sections throughout all the songs and then it suddenly stopped. In reality he never really had that freedom. After finally becoming comfortable with the songs he learned, that knowledge was basically wasted on horn riffs guided by Rashawn. Any show I've been to over the last 8 years, I always see Rashawn queuing Jeff to get ready for a horn riff on top of Tim's solo, or wherever. So when I can clearly see someone directing, and talent just being wasted...yeah I do blame Rashawn. And hey look I'm happy for Jeff though, dude is making sweet cash, he's a bit famous now, and he deserves it all. It's just my personal preference in how the band's sound/direction has gone.

I agree with you that what I would love to see happen with this band, won't happen. I think Rob is right in that some things are just unrealistic. In your case, I think your desire for Tim's tone to change a bit is much more realistic than someone leaving the band.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03951 seconds with 16 queries