View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #2701
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
So what are the thoughts on "Can't Deny Me" so far?
Just listened to it for the first time. I don't like to judge after one listen, but on first listen, it seemed surprisingly bland and without any edge. I think even had it been played faster, it could've been way better. Disappointed. "Mind Your Manners", "The Fixer" and "Worldwide Suicide" were all much better lead singles, and I don't even really like "The Fixer."

And while I don't fault them for being political (and I agree with his politics), the song is just too 2018 for my tastes. Between the cover art of the young woman at the protest, and the overt anti-Trump lyrics, it just feels like it's checkmarking 2018 boxes. I know PJ have always been like that (see "Bushleaguer"), but "where's your vocabulary, your ignorance is sinful, etc" is so on the nose. I have no beef with artists making political statements through their music, but if you're gonna say something a million of people have said over and over through the last couple years, at least say it in a fresh way. Anyway, I could easily get past the lack of creativity in the lyrics if the music were creative, but it's not.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03614 seconds with 16 queries