View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #129
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So I'm not sure how many of you keep up with this, but there are more companies than Tesla going towards autonomous driving. Ford has announced their plans, GM has partnered with Lyft and then there is Uber.

The CEO of Uber said about two years ago that if Tesla could get their cars to full autonomy by 2020, they would buy 500,000 cars from them. Since then, Tesla has announced their own vision of how they see the future, so it seems Uber has moved on. Here is an article talking about Uber's first integration of their move with autonomous driving:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Bloomberg talked to Raffi Krikorian, Uber’s engineering director, about the details:

“....The goal is to wean us off of having drivers in the car, so we don’t want the public talking to our safety drivers,” Krikorian says.”
I would just like to reiterate that all these companies going towards full autonomy with ICE vehicles will still not be as cheap as autonomous EVs. First, EVs are digitally controlled which makes having autonomous software work that much better. Second, the cost per mile over a long-term time line will be crazy cheap due to the fact that there is less maintenance on an EV than an ICE. Like I said, Tesla is working on making their drivetrains work for a million miles....no ICE can compete with that. So economics wins again with EVs vs. ICEs.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03280 seconds with 15 queries