These Days Continue

These Days Continue (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/index.php)
-   DMBc (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What are you currently listening to? (DMB edition) (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/showthread.php?t=206816)

Thrawn 02-03-2020 03:33 PM

Yeah but that #41 and that Stone tho.

Rowsdower 02-03-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrawn (Post 7221986)
Yeah but that #41 and that Stone tho.

There are many better released performances of either song.

I've always thought Listener Supported was held in high esteem only because of when it was released. It was only their second or third live album (depends on if you're counting Remember Two Things) so for a lot of people it was the first concert they listened to or watched. If this show were randomly released today, I doubt anyone would remember it after a month.

patsfan39 02-03-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowsdower (Post 7221990)
There are many better released performances of either song.

I've always thought Listener Supported was held in high esteem only because of when it was released. It was only their second or third live album (depends on if you're counting Remember Two Things) so for a lot of people it was the first concert they listened to or watched. If this show were randomly released today, I doubt anyone would remember it after a month.

Im not sure i totally buy this. I think it certainly plays a major role in why its so highly ranked, but seriously those versions sound amazing. I feel confident in saying if it was released later, people would hear them and be very impressed with those cuts of #41 and Stone.

Theres also tremendous replay value of those versions, which i honestly not sure if i can say that about a number of other shows that have been released recently. Not exactly sure why that is, but Listener Supported is a fantastic show. It was close enough to 98 that the songs are fresh, it has dave on that Martin guitar which sounds completely different than the Chet and they knew they needed to be on that night so they played their asses off.

dmb2much40 02-03-2020 10:03 PM

Listener supported #41 is the best live performance of the song. It’s literally perfect.

Thrawn 02-04-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb2much40 (Post 7222000)
Listener supported #41 is the best live performance of the song. Itís literally perfect.

You are correct.

Tomacco 02-04-2020 08:00 AM

It’s almost impossible for any of us here to be objective about Listener Supported or Red Rocks. For a long time it was the only live DMB we had. We were also all young and fresh-faced fans discovering the music for the first time. In reality, I bet there are at least half a dozen #41s from that same tour that are just as good or better. But LS is the one that was released and the one everyone got to fall in love with.

JamSession v2.0 02-04-2020 08:07 AM

Oh, get out of here with your common sense and logic.

But yeah.

JamSession v2.0 02-04-2020 08:08 AM

#40 from Piedmont Park came up on my Pandora mix - can't say that I liked it.

sean52692 02-04-2020 08:19 AM

#41 from Listener's Supported still holds up for sure.

It's definitely one of the best versions in 1999, no doubt. Certainly one of the best non--guest #41s, if not THE best one.

dmb1981 02-04-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean52692 (Post 7222008)
#41 from Listener's Supported still holds up for sure.

It's definitely one of the best versions in 1999, no doubt. Certainly one of the best non--guest #41s, if not THE best one.

My favourite 41 is the Alpine ‘04. Live Trax 8. My favourite Roi 41 solo. LS ever so slightly behind. A toss up really.

ThememanXX 02-04-2020 08:56 AM

Still going through this Darien '03 show....this is one of the most interesting, hardcore fan friendly sets I've seen. Boyd's bad, but not a deal-breaker here....and LeRoi and Butch really hide him throughout the show. More organ from Butch than I remember and Roi's more active than usual for this time period, as well. I mean, just look at this set.....the only real duds are WAYG and When the World Ends....and by today's standards, that's not bad at all. This is still before Jimi was tired and stale, 41 was straightforward and didn't meander, and Grey Street had just been castrated the prior tour, so the Grace & Grey encore is unique and very much welcome.

Dave Matthews Band
June 20, 2003
Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center, NY

Stay (Wasting Time)
If I Had It All
You Never Know
#41
Pay for What You Get
Loving Wings :segue
Where Are You Going
Kit Kat Jam
When the World Ends
Cry Freedom
The Last Stop
Lover Lay Down :segue
The Stone
Jimi Thing
The Dreaming Tree
Tripping Billies
____________

Grace Is Gone
Grey Street

dmb1981 02-04-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7222012)
Still going through this Darien '03 show....this is one of the most interesting, hardcore fan friendly sets I've seen. Boyd's bad, but not a deal-breaker here....and LeRoi and Butch really hide him throughout the show. More organ from Butch than I remember and Roi's more active than usual for this time period, as well. I mean, just look at this set.....the only real duds are WAYG and When the World Ends....and by today's standards, that's not bad at all. This is still before Jimi was tired and stale, 41 was straightforward and didn't meander, and Grey Street had just been castrated the prior tour, so the Grace & Grey encore is unique and very much welcome.

Dave Matthews Band
June 20, 2003
Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center, NY

Stay (Wasting Time)
If I Had It All
You Never Know
#41
Pay for What You Get
Loving Wings :segue
Where Are You Going
Kit Kat Jam
When the World Ends
Cry Freedom
The Last Stop
Lover Lay Down :segue
The Stone
Jimi Thing
The Dreaming Tree
Tripping Billies
____________

Grace Is Gone
Grey Street

I was at this one. Boyd was bad but at the time is wasn't something my ear was hearing loud and clear. What a set. That run from Cry Freedom to Billies was something.

ThememanXX 02-04-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb1981 (Post 7222013)
I was at this one. Boyd was bad but at the time is wasn't something my ear was hearing loud and clear. What a set. That run from Cry Freedom to Billies was something.

Definitely, the whole thing has been enjoyable....and the tape is great, which adds to the enjoyment. Glad I randomly picked this one.

Rowsdower 02-04-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb2much40 (Post 7222000)
Listener supported #41 is the best live performance of the song. Itís literally perfect.

Can't say I agree.

Tomacco 02-04-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7222012)
Still going through this Darien '03 show....this is one of the most interesting, hardcore fan friendly sets I've seen. Boyd's bad, but not a deal-breaker here....and LeRoi and Butch really hide him throughout the show. More organ from Butch than I remember and Roi's more active than usual for this time period, as well. I mean, just look at this set.....the only real duds are WAYG and When the World Ends....and by today's standards, that's not bad at all. This is still before Jimi was tired and stale, 41 was straightforward and didn't meander, and Grey Street had just been castrated the prior tour, so the Grace & Grey encore is unique and very much welcome.

Dave Matthews Band
June 20, 2003
Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center, NY

Stay (Wasting Time)
If I Had It All
You Never Know
#41
Pay for What You Get
Loving Wings :segue
Where Are You Going
Kit Kat Jam
When the World Ends
Cry Freedom
The Last Stop
Lover Lay Down :segue
The Stone
Jimi Thing
The Dreaming Tree
Tripping Billies
____________

Grace Is Gone
Grey Street

This was my second show. My first was 12/16/02 and Darien was actually a bit of a letdown comparatively. Even with so many awesome songs in the Setlist. Boyd ruining my first #41, Jimi, Billies, Stone, YNK and Cry Freedom was a big part of the letdown.

My other issue with the show was set flow. Going from that killer Stay opener to IIHIA was whiplash. That run of PFWYG / Loving Wings / WAYG was actually a total crowd killer. I could barely hear the music by the end, people were talking so much. Also, Butch took the solo on Loving Wings and it was frankly a terrible solo with that cheesy organ tone. Also, at the time GiG and Grey were the most overplayed and expected songs, so the encore was actually a bit of a bummer. Hell, Grey closing is always a bummer.

The last chunk of the main set was great though. This Kit Kat Jam is the best version ever though - and what was actually intended to be on DMB LIVE 25 (it was miscatalogued by the dmb camp and we wound up with the version from the previous show).

MidwestDrummer 02-04-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrawn (Post 7221906)
Fun fact: just after 7:00, Carter either intentionally or unintentionally throws a stick away, and you cannot tell at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 (Post 7221908)
Hah! I'd never noticed that before. It just goes flying ahead of him.

Same thing happens [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] later in the show. That one is definitely unintentional, because you can hear how dropping his stick messes up his fill going into the second verse.

NiCK (Crush) 02-04-2020 02:16 PM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Fan#41 02-04-2020 02:32 PM

The quality of production on that live Recently is fucking outstanding. May not be one of the best performances of the song but god damn does it sound amazing.

MidwestDrummer 02-04-2020 02:34 PM

The best Sugar Will they've ever played is on that disc.

NiCK (Crush) 02-04-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan#41 (Post 7222025)
The quality of production on that live Recently is fucking outstanding. May not be one of the best performances of the song but god damn does it sound amazing.

:upyours :upyours :upyours

It sounds so so good. One of my go-to tracks for that song.

MidwestDrummer 02-04-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean52692 (Post 7222008)
#41 from Listener's Supported still holds up for sure.

It's definitely one of the best versions in 1999, no doubt. Certainly one of the best non--guest #41s, if not THE best one.

And the best guested version? 6/16/13 with Victor Wooten is tops in my book. His solo and the back and forth between him and Carter are both just fantastic.

dmb1981 02-04-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer (Post 7222029)
And the best guested version? 6/16/13 with Victor Wooten is tops in my book. His solo and the back and forth between him and Carter are both just fantastic.

That's your favourite #41 with a guest??? Wow. Have you heard the version from Ottawa is '02 with the Flecktones?

That '13 version was nice but likely at the very bottom of my #41 guest spot list.

Fan#41 02-04-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb2much40 (Post 7222000)
Listener supported #41 is the best live performance of the song. Itís literally perfect.

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer (Post 7222029)
And the best guested version? 6/16/13 with Victor Wooten is tops in my book. His solo and the back and forth between him and Carter are both just fantastic.

That was an awesome performance and it was really fun with the whole "let's go bruins" chant and Dave saying it sounded like "Victor Wooten!" and then he introduces him, it was just such a blast. I would say though, my favorite Flecktone-guest #41 is still 9/15/00 followed by 4/20/02 as was mentioned, 12/8/98, 8/5/06, 5/30/99, 10/18/97, 6/8/97, 7/25/01, LiC. Then for other guest versions, 5/15/01 with Soulive, 10/2/07 with Mayer, 7/30/10 with Warren, so many.

dmb1981 02-04-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan#41 (Post 7222031)
Agreed.



That was an awesome performance and it was really fun with the whole "let's go bruins" chant and Dave saying it sounded like "Victor Wooten!" and then he introduces him, it was just such a blast. I would say though, my favorite Flecktone-guest #41 is still 9/15/00 followed by 4/20/02 as was mentioned, 12/8/98, 8/5/06, 5/30/99, 10/18/97, 6/8/97, 7/25/01, LiC. Then for other guest versions, 5/15/01 with Soulive, 10/2/07 with Mayer, 7/30/10 with Warren, so many.

9/15/00 so good but ahead of 4/20/02?

sean52692 02-04-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer (Post 7222029)
And the best guested version? 6/16/13 with Victor Wooten is tops in my book. His solo and the back and forth between him and Carter are both just fantastic.

My favorite is LT1 with Bela/Jeff.

ThememanXX 02-04-2020 06:42 PM

I always liked 9/4/00

Classic

gweeps 02-05-2020 01:03 AM

Gaucho studio cut. This one gets the shaft unnecessarily.

sean52692 02-05-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweeps (Post 7222046)
Gaucho studio cut. This one gets the shaft unnecessarily.

Agreed. Great music. It's just the chorus lyric that is a bit cheesy. Otherwise, I love it.

dmb1981 02-05-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweeps (Post 7222046)
Gaucho studio cut. This one gets the shaft unnecessarily.

One of the worst chorus' in the bands history. For that, Gaucho is useless to me. Which is too bad because the music is great and so are the verses. That chorus.. come on Dave. I just can't listen to it.

Fan#41 02-05-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb1981 (Post 7222032)
9/15/00 so good but ahead of 4/20/02?

For me, yes. I mean its not lightyears ahead or anything but one of the few things that keeps it #1 for me is Carter and Futureman extend that crescendo during Jeff's solo and force Jeff to just keep going balls out to the point where you almost hear Jeff losing wind at one point. It was a really cool moment and something that stood out for me the moment I first heard the recording. But I will say I would never fault anyone for picking another Flecktone related performance over 9/15/00 as their favorite. There are a bunch of Flecktone related #41 performances that have something different like Bela playing his custom purple Deering electric banjo on the 8/15/06 guest spot, or Futureman and Carter kicking off #41 with a back and forth like on 5/30/99, performances with just Jeff or only Bela or only Victor, then when the whole band is on, there are versions where different guys may take the first solo, version like you mentioned 4/20/02 where Vic and Bela do a trade-off. I've just always loved Flecktone guest spots, especially #41 because you can look back and they're not all the same.

NiCK (Crush) 02-05-2020 12:46 PM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

a few nice moments on this release.

Fan#41 02-05-2020 01:11 PM

Love that disc.

SomeDevil17 02-05-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) (Post 7222063)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

a few nice moments on this release.

I wore fuck out of that disc in 2007 my freshman year of college.

dmb1981 02-05-2020 01:54 PM

Can anyone throw up a dl link to the 9/15/00 #41?

Edit: Anyone?

patsfan39 02-06-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) (Post 7222063)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

a few nice moments on this release.

This is the one with the feedback during the Black Water interpolation right?

gweeps 02-07-2020 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb1981 (Post 7222066)
Can anyone throw up a dl link to the 9/15/00 #41?

Edit: Anyone?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

dmb1981 02-07-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweeps (Post 7222121)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Thank you sir!

dmb2much40 02-08-2020 12:12 PM



Still gives me goosebumps.

Fan#41 02-14-2020 05:40 PM

20 fucking years...jesus.

sean52692 02-14-2020 05:51 PM

4/20/01 Soundcheck

jeff1818 02-15-2020 01:58 PM

Vegas 2009. Solid set.

ThememanXX 02-17-2020 09:55 AM

I decided to start the 2017 D&T tour from start to finish. Then maybe 1999 or something, but I don't think I have those shows on my HD.

sean52692 02-17-2020 10:04 AM

2017 is a good choice. Lots of variety and you get a good mix of covers plus songs they've never or rarely done before like Pig, Rapunzel, YMDT, etc.

gweeps 02-18-2020 01:13 AM

Pay for What You Get from Mexico.

Great version. Crowd sucks.

Pay has now been played 35 times in 20 years.

gweeps 02-18-2020 01:31 AM

Found this:


dmb1981 02-18-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweeps (Post 7222580)
Found this:


That's great, thanks. Hadn't seen that.

Jayes 02-18-2020 10:08 AM

What are you currently listening to? (DMB edition)
 
What a great tune. Takes me right back, too. Edit: whoops just saw that was last year.

terrapin24 02-18-2020 10:12 AM

8/25/95 - Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center (CMAC)

jeff1818 02-23-2020 07:22 PM

Live on Lakeside. Wish we got the whole thing.

patsfan39 02-23-2020 11:02 PM

What more did you want to hear from N3? I think what we got was pretty good.

Feathered 02-24-2020 12:32 AM

LWS.

not sure why but ive been leaning on that a lot this month. still wanna hear monkey man live.

ThememanXX 02-24-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathered (Post 7222762)
LWS.

not sure why but ive been leaning on that a lot this month. still wanna hear monkey man live.

I randomly had the urge to listen to LWS over the weekend. I didn't because I didn't have it handy, but still. Weird.

JamSession v2.0 02-24-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathered (Post 7222762)
still wanna hear monkey man live.

That's a hell of a dream.

Feathered 02-24-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7222770)
I randomly had the urge to listen to LWS over the weekend. I didn't because I didn't have it handy, but still. Weird.

It holds up so well.

Tomacco 02-24-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsfan39 (Post 7222761)
What more did you want to hear from N3? I think what we got was pretty good.

Buena is the main track missing that I wouldíve liked on that release.

Feathered 02-25-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 7222792)
Buena is the main track missing that I wouldíve liked on that release.

yet another cover that i'd rather hear any time they start up the sledgehammer.

ggies 02-25-2020 10:23 AM

I randomly put on LT 12: 5.5.95 to listen to while I pulled up all my front yard grass and hot damn what a show!! :rawk I was groovin and jamming the whole time...never had some much fun pulling up grass. :lol

dmbphan41 02-25-2020 06:18 PM

Does anyone have 7/1/10 they can share?

celluloid hero 02-25-2020 06:36 PM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

jeff1818 02-25-2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsfan39 (Post 7222761)
What more did you want to hear from N3? I think what we got was pretty good.

2011 is a great year. The band sounds great. Bartender and say goodbye are two of my faves from the release. Iím also a fan of full shows and would have liked to have the complete set. Happy to have what I have though!!

greykitkat36 02-25-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff1818 (Post 7222834)
2011 is a great year. The band sounds great. Bartender and say goodbye are two of my faves from the release. Iím also a fan of full shows and would have liked to have the complete set. Happy to have what I have though!!

agreed. I thought 2011 was great too because of no long tour. They were rested, sounded refreshed and inspired. And because there were much less shows, they really opened the catalog up...more than pretty much any year ever in such a short span (with 2010 and 2013 being close, but those were full tours).

Thrawn 02-26-2020 09:01 AM

I genuinely think the 2011 Atlantic City release is one of the best live releases the band has produced. It's probably the only one after 2008 that has any chance at a top 10 list, but I think it makes mine.

ThememanXX 02-26-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrawn (Post 7222847)
I genuinely think the 2011 Atlantic City release is one of the best live releases the band has produced. It's probably the only one after 2008 that has any chance at a top 10 list, but I think it makes mine.

Scranton 2010 sits alone atop my "post-2008" list. The AC Caravan release is definitely second, though, with Star Lake '09 coming in third. :nod:upyours

patsfan39 02-26-2020 09:11 AM

Still can’t believe we traveled 4 hours to bethel the night before that show. It would have only been a couple hours more and we drove to VA beach a week later which was a 9 hour drive. Just felt like we missed great shows by 1 night twice there.

Bethel was great (pig, JTR, the maker, BEF>bartender, LIOG, and a GGT tease) but the return of the instrumental intro to one sweet world was the next night. Bummer.

ThememanXX 02-26-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsfan39 (Post 7222849)
Still canít believe we traveled 4 hours to bethel the night before that show. It would have only been a couple hours more and we drove to VA beach a week later which was a 9 hour drive. Just felt like we missed great shows by 1 night twice there.

Bethel was great (pig, JTR, the maker, BEF>bartender, LIOG, and a GGT tease) but the return of the instrumental intro to one sweet world was the next night. Bummer.

I did both shows; definitely remember Scranton being the standout while Bethel was no slouch that year. Problem with bethel was the pouring rain all day that really put a damper on things.

patsfan39 02-26-2020 09:38 AM

The rain definitely brought some troubles to us on the way over for us. But for the show we were under the roof (actually 7th row) and it’s such a small pavillion that we had to go. I’ll never forget it was sunny when we left my house and sports center was rolling all sorts of memorials to George Steinbrenner who died that day. Half way through CT it started pouring. But cleared up by the time we got to the venue.

dmbphan41 02-26-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celluloid hero (Post 7222828)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

thanks :upyours

patsfan39 02-27-2020 10:59 AM

Does anyone have a link to 6.25.08 loving wings? I’ve really gotta that stuck in my head. When Tim takes over it goes to another level.

gweeps 02-28-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsfan39 (Post 7222904)
Does anyone have a link to 6.25.08 loving wings? Iíve really gotta that stuck in my head. When Tim takes over it goes to another level.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

sean52692 02-28-2020 08:37 AM

A few studio tracks this morning:

DDTW
Dodo
DYR
LIOG

I love the sort of ripping/palm muted electric guitar deep in the background throughout parts of DDTW. Bela's fills are lovely too - also one of Dave's best vocal performances on record.

Dodo...I love the clean, whirling sound before the music starts and Dave plays his opening chords. Just a top tier tune.

DYR - love how Carter enters this song and how you can hear Fonz jump right in too. I don't love how Dave's acoustic guitar transitions from the verse into the chords, mix wise. It seems too produced, instead of him actually playing that transition, if you know what I mean.

LIOG is a pure gem. Boyd's solo is pure happiness - I love the little notes Fonz plays coming out of that part though...everyone shines. I could get lost in that jam for hours.

dmb1981 02-28-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean52692 (Post 7222933)
A few studio tracks this morning:

DDTW
Dodo
DYR
LIOG

I love the sort of ripping/palm muted electric guitar deep in the background throughout parts of DDTW. Bela's fills are lovely too - also one of Dave's best vocal performances on record.

Dodo...I love the clean, whirling sound before the music starts and Dave plays his opening chords. Just a top tier tune.

DYR - love how Carter enters this song and how you can hear Fonz jump right in too. I don't love how Dave's acoustic guitar transitions from the verse into the chords, mix wise. It seems too produced, instead of him actually playing that transition, if you know what I mean.

LIOG is a pure gem. Boyd's solo is pure happiness - I love the little notes Fonz plays coming out of that part though...everyone shines. I could get lost in that jam for hours.

All very well put. Couldnít agree more. And yeah, I could get listen to the LIOG jam for hours.

patsfan39 02-28-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweeps (Post 7222928)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Thanks! Youíre the best!

gweeps 03-03-2020 04:02 AM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

zaphod! 03-03-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweeps (Post 7222928)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

ugh that clapping is awful

Fan#41 03-03-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsfan39 (Post 7222904)
Does anyone have a link to 6.25.08 loving wings? Iíve really gotta that stuck in my head. When Tim takes over it goes to another level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweeps (Post 7222928)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

One of my favorite performances of the song.

sean52692 03-06-2020 08:07 PM

WWYS Deer Creek 7/23/16

Smokin' hot. :upyours

ThememanXX 03-09-2020 02:07 PM

11/6/2010 - The Last Stop

Really like Tim's work on the outro. Gives it a cool "country" feel.

ThememanXX 03-10-2020 02:53 PM

7/13/13

The opening run of Squirm > Alligator Pie > Bayou is....interesting. It was so goddamn hot that day, too. Pretty solid show, for 2013.

ThememanXX 03-10-2020 03:11 PM

And Mark Whitfield's guest spots on If Only and Crash are by far the most underrated out there; I love what he adds to both tunes.

dmb2much40 03-10-2020 04:43 PM

I remember the ending to that two step being intense. Solid show top to bottom.

DIDO36 03-10-2020 06:02 PM

7/9/00

Nothing better then listening to some prime DMB on a 80 degree sunny day. Feels like summer already.

ThememanXX 03-18-2020 10:17 AM

I've got the 2016 Gorge run on now; and this sounds worlds better than DMB 4.0; I don't know, it's just the further back I go in DMB history, the better things sound.

Tomacco 03-18-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7224266)
I've got the 2016 Gorge run on now; and this sounds worlds better than DMB 4.0; I don't know, it's just the further back I go in DMB history, the better things sound.

Interesting. I wanted to love that Gorge '16 Live Trax because of how awesome the set was, but I found the whole show sounded really sloppy. I've listened to it twice. Maybe I'll give it another shot today. But overall, that show didn't sound better than 4.0 at all, IMO.

ThememanXX 03-18-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 7224267)
Interesting. I wanted to love that Gorge '16 Live Trax because of how awesome the set was, but I found the whole show sounded really sloppy. I've listened to it twice. Maybe I'll give it another shot today. But overall, that show didn't sound better than 4.0 at all, IMO.

I just don't like Buddy being front and center on most songs; he's as subtle as Rashawn is, which is just above 'freight train.' I also like the violin, despite Boyd being awful, so I'd take 3.0 over 4.0; just like I'd take 2.0 over 3.0 and 1.0 over 2.0.

greykitkat36 03-18-2020 07:55 PM

I think all 4 renditions of the band have some pros and cons, and thereís thing I like and dislike about all of them. If I had to say though 4.0 to me sounds the most boring and predictable of all the eras to me.

jsandr 03-19-2020 06:00 PM

I think the undeniably tightest version of the band was on display from 2000-2004. So many great recordings and versions of songs new and old. Definitely prefer the even numbered years in that stretch...

Probably in the minority who would take like 2008-2010 DMB next in the pecking order.

With the exception of a few specific performances (EG Last Stop, LIC) I've never been as crazy about 1998 fall DMB as others.

from a listening enjoyment standpoint, I can safely say that while, yes, the violin was a staple of the original sound, I largely have no interest listening back to absolute shit musicianship from Boyd all those years. He added nothing but crazy stage presence for so many years.

no era was flawless, for sure. For me, a 2008 lineup that dropped Rashawn and kept Butch would have been the dream. Should Tim leave the band, I would literally have zero interest in any further listening of new shows or albums. Obviously, my musical tastes have changed in the direction of much more guitar-oriented music, so I'm the one dude on this board losing my shit over how ballsy the DDTW from The Night Before was.

Still, though, the biggest issue with the band as time passes is the miss rate of Dave's songwriting - lyrics in particular. We can argue over the use/misuse of musicianship, but the songs have gotten lazier and lazier.

Also, I find Buddy to be very gimmicky, with a few exceptions (Grace, Seek Up, etc).

crazycreep 03-20-2020 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsandr (Post 7224380)
I think the undeniably tightest version of the band was on display from 2000-2004. So many great recordings and versions of songs new and old. Definitely prefer the even numbered years in that stretch...

Probably in the minority who would take like 2008-2010 DMB next in the pecking order.

With the exception of a few specific performances (EG Last Stop, LIC) I've never been as crazy about 1998 fall DMB as others.

from a listening enjoyment standpoint, I can safely say that while, yes, the violin was a staple of the original sound, I largely have no interest listening back to absolute shit musicianship from Boyd all those years. He added nothing but crazy stage presence for so many years.

no era was flawless, for sure. For me, a 2008 lineup that dropped Rashawn and kept Butch would have been the dream. Should Tim leave the band, I would literally have zero interest in any further listening of new shows or albums. Obviously, my musical tastes have changed in the direction of much more guitar-oriented music, so I'm the one dude on this board losing my shit over how ballsy the DDTW from The Night Before was.

Still, though, the biggest issue with the band as time passes is the miss rate of Dave's songwriting - lyrics in particular. We can argue over the use/misuse of musicianship, but the songs have gotten lazier and lazier.

Also, I find Buddy to be very gimmicky, with a few exceptions (Grace, Seek Up, etc).

What DDTW are you referring to? Iíd like to check it out,

JamSession v2.0 03-20-2020 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycreep (Post 7224398)
What DDTW are you referring to? Iíd like to check it out,

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Tomacco 03-20-2020 07:40 AM

I’d like to pretend that show doesn’t exist. I look back at that weekend as the darkest period in DMB history aside from August 2008.
Even though I was curious about DMB without Boyd, that show did not fill me with any confidence at all.

ThememanXX 03-20-2020 07:48 AM

While it wasn't particularly good, what it did for me was prove that they can exist without Boyd.

Tomacco 03-20-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7224410)
While it wasn't particularly good, what it did for me was prove that they can exist without Boyd.

I think adding Buddy was essential in filling the sound out.
But aside from that, Tim was overbearing to make up for Boyd and Carter was oddly bad in that Night Before show. It was just a terribly played show (aside from a couple songs).

DIDO36 03-20-2020 12:49 PM

Yeah, I had no hope for the sound of the band after that first show without Boyd. I basically had no hope, until the rumors that Buddy was joining. They honesty really surprised me with that first night in Houston. The tempo of the songs were so much slower, and the piano fills were tasteful. Tim was much lower in the mix too, and you could actually hear Daveís guitar again. I was excited about the bands sound for the first time in a long time. You can tell they really worked hard to make this work without Boyd.

I think overall the sound is much better now then most of 3.0. I just donít like the super fast tempo and overbearing electric guitar that was most of 3.0.

Thrawn 03-20-2020 01:15 PM

I agree. The recent Warehouse disc is, by and large, some pretty chill well-performed music. Not thrashy chaos.

crazycreep 03-20-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 (Post 7224402)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Ty :)

roshea999 03-20-2020 03:15 PM

Had a little couch tour last night with a few TDCers.

Kern suggested [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

We watched Copperpot's video without looking at the set.

A few things

I miss THAT Carter (The Stone was amazing) and LeRoi.

Boyd had a few low moments but it wasn't a show that featured a lot of him. Very cool set, especially not really knowing what was coming. Encore is a little weak, but if you have some time throw it on. Fun show.

Grey Street with 3 verses is still awesome. The Space Between is so much better today than it was back then.

Fan#41 03-20-2020 03:29 PM

Loved The Stone / LLD segues in '02.

celluloid hero 03-20-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 7224414)
I think adding Buddy was essential in filling the sound out.
But aside from that, Tim was overbearing to make up for Boyd and Carter was oddly bad in that Night Before show. It was just a terribly played show (aside from a couple songs).

They were probably pissed, uncomfortable and in a terrible mood. Imagine what it had to take for Dave to send Boyd home. Then walk out on stage without him. I make no judgment for anything that night. They got through it.

Jayes 03-20-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celluloid hero (Post 7224470)
They were probably pissed, uncomfortable and in a terrible mood. Imagine what it had to take for Dave to send Boyd home. Then walk out on stage without him. I make no judgment for anything that night. They got through it.


Same band that learned their friend was dead and walked out onstage and did a pretty great show :dunno

jsandr 03-20-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 7224414)
I think adding Buddy was essential in filling the sound out.
But aside from that, Tim was overbearing to make up for Boyd and Carter was oddly bad in that Night Before show. It was just a terribly played show (aside from a couple songs).

yeah, to be clear, i dont have much desire to listen to that show again, but it had it's moments. for ME, personally, i enjoyed the Tim heavy DDTW, SMTS, and then i actually thought YNK and Space Between were examples of how a less "heavy" version of the lineup could sound.

Also, to be clear, I am not clamoring for the 80's hair metal tim - moreso, idealistically, I'd prefer his atmospheric (think Dodo, Trouble, Seek Up) self to be a larger part of the band now. but I also love what he does on Crush, Two Step, Graves, etc from a lead point of view. And i think it's cool that he's never quite in the same place for these solos. I always preferred his David Gilmour-esque leads. I know that song has suddenly become divisive, but Tim's contributions on the newer Sugar Wills were brilliant, i thought.

i do think a keyboard was necessary to soften the sound a bit, I just question why buddy has to feature so heavily in this sound. love his piano additions, but the organ stuff is just cheesy imho.

jeff1818 03-20-2020 09:21 PM

2002 holiday tour disc. That was a great tour YNK sounds wonderful. 2.0 is prime dmb right there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.09836 seconds with 39 queries