These Days Continue

These Days Continue (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/index.php)
-   DMBc (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What are you currently listening to? (DMB edition) (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/showthread.php?t=206816)

celluloid hero 09-21-2020 02:55 PM

It's in the Best of 2010 folder I posted above.

Habbs 09-21-2020 05:28 PM

9/20/00
What a top tier show amongst tour closing nights

gweeps 09-21-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaphod! (Post 7243307)
can someone post it?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

sean52692 09-21-2020 06:31 PM


Thrawn 09-21-2020 08:46 PM

Tim was soooo loud in the mix in 2010.

celluloid hero 09-21-2020 08:51 PM

That compilation I posted is a shredfest and I love it.

patsfan39 09-22-2020 08:13 AM

I also forget how FAST everything was in 2010.

Habbs 09-22-2020 04:51 PM

Typical Situation - 8/18/93
Minarets - 8/18/93
Blue Water - 8/18/93
Tripping Billies - 8/22/07
You Never Know - 6/8/12
Drive In, Drive Out - 10/3/96
#41 - 6/8/96
Pig - 6/20/09
Big Eyed Fish - 7/16/10
Best of What's Around - 11/17/92
Belly Belly Nice - 6/1/13
JTR - 5/2/01

Habbs 09-22-2020 05:59 PM

Dancing Nancies - 4/6/94
Jimi Thing - 4/7/95
Lie in Our Graves - 7/25/15
Satellite - 6/24/11
Beach Ball - 7/20/12
Spoon - 9/14/03

ThememanXX 09-23-2020 09:00 AM

9/7/12

Habbs 09-23-2020 09:46 AM

Hello Again - 9/12/04
All Along the Watchtower - 9/17/10
Squirm - 9/18/10
Ants Marching - 7/20/08
Warehouse - 5/5/95
Recently 9/9/96
Kit Kat Jam - 7/30/03
Don't Drink the Water - 7/27/04
Grace is Gone - 7/14/10
Two Step - 9/30/08

ThememanXX 09-23-2020 12:24 PM

9/7/2013

Habbs 09-24-2020 03:12 PM

Anniversary listen to the Central Park Concert today. Still awesome.

ThememanXX 09-28-2020 07:38 AM

7/8/2016

ThememanXX 09-28-2020 09:01 AM

5/31/17 (Dave & Tim)

ThememanXX 09-29-2020 07:28 AM

7/9/19

DMB 4.0 is just so bland.

ThememanXX 09-29-2020 09:13 AM

12/16/94

That's better.

.Gary. 09-29-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7243929)
7/9/19

DMB 4.0 is just so bland.

A DMB Coverband at this point if we're being honest.

celluloid hero 09-29-2020 11:17 AM

I noticed the sources of 5.19.01 all complemented each other sound wise and I threw together a matrix of a few of them for the Lie in Our Graves with Trey.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

dmb1981 09-29-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Gary. (Post 7243932)
A DMB Coverband at this point if we're being honest.

Sure is. Bland is a good word for them. Dave can barely sing, they play terrible songs mostly and do no keep thing interesting. They were soooo good. Big time cover band. Rashawn is the worst.

patsfan39 09-29-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celluloid hero (Post 7243935)
I noticed the sources of 5.19.01 all complemented each other sound wise and I threw together a matrix of a few of them for the Lie in Our Graves with Trey.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

DAMN. this sounds great. Also, the performance is top notch too.

Id have to think 1997-2004 was really the peak for LIOG. there were a few in 07-08 that were good as well, but i think this song really hit its stride in the late 90s early 2000s.

I love listening to old shows and hearing people going bananas during Boyd's (or bela, whoever) solo. In the Winter 98 videos people were jumping up and down in the back row was so awesome. What a time to see the band it must have been.

jsandr 10-01-2020 02:32 PM

Somehow had never watched 12/1/98. With the Boise show coming soon, I've been going back to '98 a lot.

I'd love some of whatever tim was on when he goes to the ground during his Crush solo ��.

Also, seek up from fall '98 is so fucking good.

celluloid hero 10-02-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsfan39 (Post 7243938)
DAMN. this sounds great. Also, the performance is top notch too.

Glad you like! One of the AUD sources was bass and low-mid heavy, the other was low bass but more top end clarity, and there's a low-level IEM mixed in so that Carter's drums jump through the mix like a release.

patsfan39 10-02-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celluloid hero (Post 7244218)
Glad you like! One of the AUD sources was bass and low-mid heavy, the other was low bass but more top end clarity, and there's a low-level IEM mixed in so that Carter's drums jump through the mix like a release.

I usually listen for Carter's drums so the IEM makes sense why. on AUDs they sound muddy sometimes.

gweeps 10-02-2020 09:01 PM

Ymdt 6/2/17

First time hearing this D&T. Love it.

coornelius 10-03-2020 07:37 AM

Does anyone have the full Cow Palace show (11.9.96) in mp3? I'm tired of waiting for it to be a Live Trax and want to see if it's as great as 16-year old me thought it was in 1999. Much appreciated.

Habbs 10-03-2020 12:40 PM

Seek Up - 7/30/01

celluloid hero 10-03-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coornelius (Post 7244426)
Does anyone have the full Cow Palace show (11.9.96) in mp3? I'm tired of waiting for it to be a Live Trax and want to see if it's as great as 16-year old me thought it was in 1999. Much appreciated.

Won't be released, either. drop outs in the master.

dmb1981 10-03-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coornelius (Post 7244426)
Does anyone have the full Cow Palace show (11.9.96) in mp3? I'm tired of waiting for it to be a Live Trax and want to see if it's as great as 16-year old me thought it was in 1999. Much appreciated.

One of the best shows ever imo. Crazy energy.

coornelius 10-03-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celluloid hero (Post 7244460)
Won't be released, either. drop outs in the master.

bummer.

coornelius 10-03-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb1981 (Post 7244465)
One of the best shows ever imo. Crazy energy.

i remember it being a fav back in my peak show-listening days.

jeff1818 10-03-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coornelius (Post 7244469)
i remember it being a fav back in my peak show-listening days.

the tape is pretty solid. definitely one to get and enjoy

celluloid hero 10-03-2020 09:12 PM

The Best of Spring Tour 2002 compilation!

celluloid hero 10-03-2020 10:56 PM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

There's a spoiler free 1-track in the folder, and tracked and tagged version in a separate folder.

Spoiler:
Dave Matthews Band
The Best of Spring Tour 2002

01 - Grey Street (May 19, 2002 - Mountain View, CA) (06:02)
02 - Grace is Gone (April 12, 2002 - Providence, RI) (07:23)
03 - "Break the Bad Law" (April 4, 2002 - Washington, DC) (02:48)
04 - Busted Stuff (April 4, 2002 - Washington, DC) (06:02)
05 - You Never Know (May 10, 2002 - Denver, CO) (07:17)
06 - Jimi Thing (May 23, 2002 - Portland, OR) (13:44)
07 - Raven (May 4, 2002 - The Woodlands, TX) (05:42)
08 - Bartender (April 7, 2002 - Boston, MA) (15:45)
09 - #41 * (April 20, 2002 - Ottawa, ON) (32:35)
==========
10 - For the Beauty of Wynona ^ (May 23, 2002 - Portland, OR) (04:10)
11 - Pig (April 4, 2002 - Washington, DC) (07:06)
12 - Gravedigger intro (April 26, 2002 - Rosemont, IL) (04:37)
13 - Pantala Naga Pampa (April 26, 2002 - Rosemont, IL) (00:40)
14 - Rapunzel (April 26, 2002 - Rosemont, IL) (07:21)

* - with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
^ - Dave solo

sean52692 10-03-2020 11:19 PM

I've gone more of a run mix tonight. Some of 10/2/07, 2/5/99, BTCS, 11/13/93, 11/26/91, 7/3/19, etc.

sean52692 10-03-2020 11:20 PM

Your Spring 2002 mix > the Summer 2002 mix.

Jayes 10-04-2020 07:38 AM

Havenít been actively putting it off, and Iíve certainly sampled many times from the 2000 tour, but I think itís time to dive in and do it. Especially after watching 12.12.00 the other day (sure, not a 2000 classic, but it got me amped). That was a fun watch for a few reasons: great performances, great crowd energy, fun flubs, technical snafus that rebounded, young weird Dave, excellent Carter, the list obviously goes on. Iím excited to finally put the time in and get the full picture :upyours

coornelius 10-05-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff1818 (Post 7244472)
the tape is pretty solid. definitely one to get and enjoy

Just listened through -- they were on fire. It's too bad this one can't get the official treatment.

jeff1818 10-07-2020 02:11 PM

Dave & Tim 2/11/96
Real quiet audience
Great tape
Fantastic set
A fan yells for "After Her" and Dave sings "After Her" at the beginning of Satellite
Great "What will become of me"
Nice short story before "I'll back you up"
Highly recommended

jsandr 10-09-2020 10:48 AM

Currently on LT 53 - really enjoying it!

Next up: Warehouse 5 Vol 1.

I would love a 3-4 disc compilation of Fall '98.

Define Dancing 10-11-2020 05:37 PM

So I was fairly disinterested in anything DMB related for a few years. Haven't seen them since the Bangor, Maine show in 2014. Haven't listened to any audience recordings in ages. However, Brandon's generous act of kindness this spring was the catalyst for a renewed interest in the band. I opted for LT 47, and it did not disappoint. When I asked folks for recommendations, I remembered a few people recommending LT 37, so when I ordered LT 52 a few weeks ago, I threw 37 into my order, and I'm really glad I did.

LT 37 has completely reignited my passion for this band. I've listened to it multiple times and I've loved every minute. The band was so much fun back then. Lots of improv and exploration. And Boyd actually sounded really good back then. And I've always been a big fan of the Peter era.

Anyway, I've found myself listening to a whole bunch of random stuff on YouTube that I used to have on my computer a decade ago. Toy Soldiers, Light Lift Me Up, Take A Minute Jam, other random soundcheck jams from the early days, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's nice to be back, and after being gone for a while, it sort of feels like falling in love all over again.

sean52692 10-12-2020 08:00 AM

LT 37, LT 47, and random oddities like Toy Soldiers, LLMU, etc. Hard to go wrong with any of those. That's how you keep your fandom fresh. Instead of listening to a recent 2019 show.

ThememanXX 10-12-2020 09:40 AM

8/7/2001

dmb1981 10-12-2020 10:24 AM

8/20/00 alpine night 2. Anyone there knows how special this one was.

celluloid hero 10-12-2020 11:13 AM

For those that weren't, why was it so special? Came off a little flat on the recording to me, which isn't the most clear recording, so I haven't gone back to it in a while.

soright05 10-12-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb1981 (Post 7245112)
8/20/00 alpine night 2. Anyone there knows how special this one was.

how is this LIOG?

vacubsfan3 10-12-2020 12:17 PM

LT2...love that Sugar Will!

dmb1981 10-12-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soright05 (Post 7245114)
how is this LIOG?

Epic stuff. Great Seek Up, Jimi, Rapunzel, etc. Energy through the roof.

ThememanXX 10-13-2020 07:50 AM

8/6/02

Spoiler:
August 6, 2002
Polaris Amphitheatre, Columbus, OH

Pig
Don't Drink the Water
Grace Is Gone
One Sweet World
Fool to Think
#41 :segue
Say Goodbye
So Much to Say :segue
Anyone Seen the Bridge :segue
Too Much
Lie in Our Graves
The Stone
Grey Street
Loving Wings :segue
Where Are You Going
Kit Kat Jam
What You Are
_____________

Digging a Ditch
Pantala Naga Pampa :segue
Rapunzel

vacubsfan3 10-13-2020 07:59 AM

DMBLive @ Trax - 7.28.92

ThememanXX 10-13-2020 09:17 AM

9/6/03

Spoiler:
September 6, 2003
Tweeter Center at the Waterfront, Camden, NJ

Stay (Wasting Time)
Crush
The Stone
Don't Drink the Water
If I Had It All
Help Myself
Satellite
Bartender
Fool to Think :segue
Dancing Nancies
Where Are You Going
Watchtower
Spoon :segue
Ants Marching
-----------------------------------
The Maker :segue
Tripping Billies


Wouldn't mind seeing this one get a full Live Trax release someday.

soright05 10-13-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7245168)
9/6/03

Spoiler:
September 6, 2003
Tweeter Center at the Waterfront, Camden, NJ

Stay (Wasting Time)
Crush
The Stone
Don't Drink the Water
If I Had It All
Help Myself
Satellite
Bartender
Fool to Think :segue
Dancing Nancies
Where Are You Going
Watchtower
Spoon :segue
Ants Marching
-----------------------------------
The Maker :segue
Tripping Billies


Wouldn't mind seeing this one get a full Live Trax release someday.

agree, love this show. really like that encore

gweeps 10-13-2020 10:13 AM

Too Much LT1

Yeah, Carter's sound is obnoxiously mixed for this release.

Thrawn 10-13-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7245168)
9/6/03

Spoiler:
September 6, 2003
Tweeter Center at the Waterfront, Camden, NJ

Stay (Wasting Time)
Crush
The Stone
Don't Drink the Water
If I Had It All
Help Myself
Satellite
Bartender
Fool to Think :segue
Dancing Nancies
Where Are You Going
Watchtower
Spoon :segue
Ants Marching
-----------------------------------
The Maker :segue
Tripping Billies


Wouldn't mind seeing this one get a full Live Trax release someday.

One of the weirdest setlists ever (in a good way). That BTCS four-peat to start the show is particularly amazing.

ThememanXX 10-13-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrawn (Post 7245178)
One of the weirdest setlists ever (in a good way). That BTCS four-peat to start the show is particularly amazing.

I remember being at the show the night before and thinking "wow, could tomorrow be the show where they play BTCS front to back?" :lol

gweeps 10-13-2020 12:31 PM

9/16/03 is still one that needs to be released. Excellent superduper set, except IDI of course.

Dave Matthews Band
September 16, 2003
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Charlotte, Charlotte, NC

Ants Marching
Satellite
Warehouse
The Best of What's Around
I Did It
One Sweet World
So Much to Say Ľ
Anyone Seen the Bridge Ľ
What Would You Say
Two Step
Cry Freedom
Recently
Crash into Me
Too Much
All Along the Watchtower
-----------------------------------
Typical Situation
Tripping Billies

batleon 10-13-2020 03:09 PM

Bah I saw the band on August 31st in 2003. Horrible show, still probably the worst I attended, had no interest in ever seeing them again after it.

Literally missed one of their best months ever by one show :downyours

Rowsdower 10-13-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7245168)
9/6/03

Spoiler:
September 6, 2003
Tweeter Center at the Waterfront, Camden, NJ

Stay (Wasting Time)
Crush
The Stone
Don't Drink the Water
If I Had It All
Help Myself
Satellite
Bartender
Fool to Think :segue
Dancing Nancies
Where Are You Going
Watchtower
Spoon :segue
Ants Marching
-----------------------------------
The Maker :segue
Tripping Billies


Wouldn't mind seeing this one get a full Live Trax release someday.

That's such a cool and unique show.

greykitkat36 10-13-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batleon (Post 7245212)
Bah I saw the band on August 31st in 2003. Horrible show, still probably the worst I attended, had no interest in ever seeing them again after it.

Literally missed one of their best months ever by one show :downyours

'03 had a lot of crazy unique, random setlists and song selections, wish they would mix things up like that again more often. I saw them on 8/24, and yeah they really came together big time for that September.

I think it was in August the band found out about the upcoming winter D+F tour and they weren't particularly happy about it, but by September I think they got over it and really played with a different attitude..maybe because they wanted CP to be great and were excited building up to it or maybe they decided to play like it was gonna be their last tour for a while, who knows, but something definitley clicked in Sept '03.

gweeps 10-16-2020 04:27 AM

Cry Freedom 7/31/04

Gorgeous version. Great to have a sbd.

ThememanXX 10-19-2020 07:39 AM

6/23/04

Spoiler:
June 23, 2004
Germain Amphitheatre, Columbus, OH

The Stone
Warehouse
One Sweet World
Crazy Easy
When the World Ends
I Did It
Pantala Naga Pampa :segue
Rapunzel
Sugar Will
Crush
Help Myself
Grace Is Gone
Joyride
Fool to Think
Grey Street
Hello Again
Everyday
__________

Granny
Stay (Wasting Time)

ThememanXX 10-19-2020 10:10 AM

December 6, 2005
Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA

Spoiler:
Pantala Naga Pampa :segue
Rapunzel
Crash
When the World Ends
Hunger for the Great Light
Seek Up
Grey Street
Minarets :segue
Dreamgirl
Warehouse
Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back) *
Louisiana Bayou *
What Would You Say
Lover Lay Down
Stand Up (for It) *~
Two Step *~
__________

Christmas Song
Everyday


+ - Rashawn Ross
~ - Eric Krasno

SomeDevil17 10-20-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7245642)
December 6, 2005
Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA

Spoiler:
Pantala Naga Pampa :segue
Rapunzel
Crash
When the World Ends
Hunger for the Great Light
Seek Up
Grey Street
Minarets :segue
Dreamgirl
Warehouse
Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back) *
Louisiana Bayou *
What Would You Say
Lover Lay Down
Stand Up (for It) *~
Two Step *~
__________

Christmas Song
Everyday


+ - Rashawn Ross
~ - Eric Krasno

High energy song
low energy song
repeat.

jsandr 10-25-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7245642)
December 6, 2005
Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA

Spoiler:
Pantala Naga Pampa :segue
Rapunzel
Crash
When the World Ends
Hunger for the Great Light
Seek Up
Grey Street
Minarets :segue
Dreamgirl
Warehouse
Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back) *
Louisiana Bayou *
What Would You Say
Lover Lay Down
Stand Up (for It) *~
Two Step *~
__________

Christmas Song
Everyday


+ - Rashawn Ross
~ - Eric Krasno

Howís that two step with krasno? Iíd be interested to hear that!

Mersh 10-25-2020 03:11 PM

DMBLive 10.3.96.

ThememanXX 10-26-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsandr (Post 7246109)
Howís that two step with krasno? Iíd be interested to hear that!

His guitar tone with DMB is always great, I'm a fan of that one.

jsandr 10-26-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7246146)
His guitar tone with DMB is always great, I'm a fan of that one.

Yeah... I love that 41 with Sam kininger and kras from Arizona 2001 I think?

celluloid hero 10-27-2020 12:54 PM

Dave & Tim 2.2.97 - Scranton.

Can confidently say I've never listened to this show.

greykitkat36 10-27-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celluloid hero (Post 7246236)
Dave & Tim 2.2.97 - Scranton.

Can confidently say I've never listened to this show.

Oh man that's a good one. One of the first D+T shows I got my hands on back in the day when I got into the band.

celluloid hero 10-27-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greykitkat36 (Post 7246240)
Oh man that's a good one. One of the first D+T shows I got my hands on back in the day when I got into the band.

I was surprised that the tape is a solid B+ listen. Figured I knew about all the decent sounding 97s. Too bad the January tapes are generally rough. A lot of great stuff on the early shows that are so hard to get through. Some cool improv jams, etc.

If anyone wants... [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

ThememanXX 10-27-2020 01:58 PM

That was just about a year and a half before I got into DMB. Would've loved to see a show there.

dmb1981 10-27-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThememanXX (Post 7246242)
That was just about a year and a half before I got into DMB. Would've loved to see a show there.

My love for them became officially heavy once I spent a weekend with Crowded Streets.

jsandr 10-29-2020 01:52 PM

Two Step -> BOWA red rocks. I've totally taken this for granted for so long, but that may be my favorite part of that release! Such a great transition, and Tim's solo is really great.

Also giving LT39 a spin, oddly for the first time. I'd heard lots of mix questioning, but actually I kind of like what they've done with it, as the chapman stick is incredibly challenging to mix into that sound! On headphones a really cool listen and I LOVE this two step! Greg howard really adds to the end, and Tim's solo is very playful and unique. Also, Roi is super playful on the bari, adding all kinds of good under the radar fills throughout. May be favorite 98 two step so far. Mayyyybe. I still love the first warehouse 5 version.

...also, this dreaming tree! I remember hearing the audience, but what a great treat to have.

jsandr 10-29-2020 02:29 PM

Best of (Released) Fall '1998 playlist:

Crush (WH5V1)
Warehouse (WH5V1)
41 (WH5V1)
Say Goodbye (WH5V1)
Two Step (WH5V1)
Last Stop (LiC)
Minarets (LT53)
Dreaming Tree (LT39)
DIDO (LT1)
Halloween (LT39)
The Maker (LIC)
Seek Up-> (LT53)
Heartbeat/Rapunzel (LT53)
DDTW (DmbLIVE 11-30)
Crash into Me (LT53)
Jimi Thing (LT39)
Rhyme & Reason (DmbLive 11-30)
Tripping Billies (LT39)
IBYU (LT1)
Watchtower (LiC)


I'm looking for official releases of the following from the tour:

BOWA
Pig
For the Beauty of Wynona
Proudest Monkey
Minarets -> Typical with Bela
Recently

god that tour would make a great compilation boxset!

dmb1981 10-29-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsandr (Post 7246433)
Best of (Released) Fall '1998 playlist:

Crush (WH5V1)
Warehouse (WH5V1)
41 (WH5V1)
Say Goodbye (WH5V1)
Two Step (WH5V1)
Last Stop (LiC)
Minarets (LT53)
Dreaming Tree (LT39)
DIDO (LT1)
Halloween (LT39)
The Maker (LIC)
Seek Up-> (LT53)
Heartbeat/Rapunzel (LT53)
DDTW (DmbLIVE 11-30)
Crash into Me (LT53)
Jimi Thing (LT39)
Rhyme & Reason (DmbLive 11-30)
Tripping Billies (LT39)
IBYU (LT1)
Watchtower (LiC)


I'm looking for official releases of the following from the tour:

BOWA
Pig
For the Beauty of Wynona
Proudest Monkey
Minarets -> Typical with Bela
Recently

god that tour would make a great compilation boxset!

Hell yes my man. And yes, Two Step -> BOWA from Red Rocks '95 is about as good as it gets. Wish Tim would still fill that way. He went from complete emotion and true originality to classic rock licks. Real shame.

vacubsfan3 10-29-2020 03:54 PM

Listening to Lost Acoustics Playlist from Dave & Tim in the mid 90's

jsandr 10-29-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb1981 (Post 7246434)
Hell yes my man. And yes, Two Step -> BOWA from Red Rocks '95 is about as good as it gets. Wish Tim would still fill that way. He went from complete emotion and true originality to classic rock licks. Real shame.

i think that's a BIT of a broad stroke, but i generally think i agree. i think, as with 12 years strait of anything, you're bound to fall into patterns. I still love Tim in any form with the band, but to focus on the common ground, 98 is so great to listen to the exploration/growth across a whole tour, while, actually, still remaining faithful to the studio recordings (Crash & BTCS). For example, Tim still generally played faithfully to his studio parts - think Crush, Two Step, Last Stop, etc. That Dreaming Tree with Howard & Tim is fucking ridiculous. That's the definitive DT, without question.

on RR95: I always have to remind myself that Tim's red rocks appearance was out of the blue - it's not like they'd played a bunch of shows together to warm up for it, which is actually kind of astounding to think of how good they all sound together on that performance! But yeah, the old arrangement of Two Step with the Tim solo & segue to BOWA is so damn good.

anyway, SO down for more 98 shows/individual song releases. 8/21 is currently VERY high on that wishlist.

greykitkat36 10-29-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb1981 (Post 7246434)
Hell yes my man. And yes, Two Step -> BOWA from Red Rocks '95 is about as good as it gets. Wish Tim would still fill that way. He went from complete emotion and true originality to classic rock licks. Real shame.

I don't really agree with this, I think he's still very original, he just plays with a lot more gain/distortion and and he's cranked up louder in the mix than he used to be.

Jeff mentioned in that recent podcast that was posted that the band made a conscious choice since Big Whiskey to adapt a "wall of sound" kind of approach and have a "horn section" instead of a wandering soloist. After Roi died they made an effort to become a different band, because really, without him they are. And now especially without Boyd. But my favorite parts of the last 2 albums are Tim's contributions. He does incredible work on AFTW and CT all over the place.

jsandr 10-30-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greykitkat36 (Post 7246462)
I don't really agree with this, I think he's still very original, he just plays with a lot more gain/distortion and and he's cranked up louder in the mix than he used to be.

Jeff mentioned in that recent podcast that was posted that the band made a conscious choice since Big Whiskey to adapt a "wall of sound" kind of approach and have a "horn section" instead of a wandering soloist. After Roi died they made an effort to become a different band, because really, without him they are. And now especially without Boyd. But my favorite parts of the last 2 albums are Tim's contributions. He does incredible work on AFTW and CT all over the place.

He was only on a few songs for CT - samurai, again & again and Virginia are the only ones I remember him on... maybe DYR? Your point is valid, tho. I will say, even in 98 he was cranking the gain, and also mercilessly attacking the pitch shifting stuff on a few songs. People seemed to definitely split on his jimi and liog solos back in the day.

greykitkat36 10-30-2020 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsandr (Post 7246474)
He was only on a few songs for CT - samurai, again & again and Virginia are the only ones I remember him on... maybe DYR? Your point is valid, tho. I will say, even in 98 he was cranking the gain, and also mercilessly attacking the pitch shifting stuff on a few songs. People seemed to definitely split on his jimi and liog solos back in the day.

Yeah and 2 of those songs are widely considered the best on the album. He's on DYR too, but he has a much more backing role on it. Another reason CT sucks is that the entire full band are on like 4 tracks out of the entire thing. That's kind of ridiculous. It's a Dave solo album and to call it DMB is kind of cop out.

jsandr 10-30-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greykitkat36 (Post 7246476)
Yeah and 2 of those songs are widely considered the best on the album. He's on DYR too, but he has a much more backing role on it. Another reason CT sucks is that the entire full band are on like 4 tracks out of the entire thing. That's kind of ridiculous. It's a Dave solo album and to call it DMB is kind of cop out.

Yeah. I have no interest in ever listening to that record again, which puts it in a category with only stand up.

greykitkat36 10-30-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsandr (Post 7246479)
Yeah. I have no interest in ever listening to that record again, which puts it in a category with only stand up.

Same. That's why I'm so excited about these recent recordings Dave did at his house. The actual band, or most of them, (carter, dave, buddy and Tim) writing songs TOGETHER...no Alagia making up riffs, no recycling and piecing together old recordings from previous sessions, no big time producer like Cavallo or Batson or Lillywhite getting involved in the process telling them what to do. This really interests me a lot.

celluloid hero 10-31-2020 01:11 PM

2.6.97 Blacksburg

.Gary. 11-02-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greykitkat36 (Post 7246480)
Same. That's why I'm so excited about these recent recordings Dave did at his house. The actual band, or most of them, (carter, dave, buddy and Tim) writing songs TOGETHER...no Alagia making up riffs, no recycling and piecing together old recordings from previous sessions, no big time producer like Cavallo or Batson or Lillywhite getting involved in the process telling them what to do. This really interests me a lot.

"Dave Matthews fan says for the 238247234th time that these recording sessions will be different and better."

vacubsfan3 11-02-2020 04:44 PM

Made a playlist of all of the Summer Tour Warm Ups over the years that I ripped from You Tube...listening to them on shuffle. Most songs end up being between 2012-2016. If you care for that era, there are some interesting versions at venues that don't often get official releases.

sean52692 11-03-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacubsfan3 (Post 7246688)
Made a playlist of all of the Summer Tour Warm Ups over the years that I ripped from You Tube...listening to them on shuffle. Most songs end up being between 2012-2016. If you care for that era, there are some interesting versions at venues that don't often get official releases.

:upyours I enjoy having those downloads. And, of course, the YouTube videos are fun to randomly shuffle around with.

celluloid hero 11-03-2020 09:23 AM

10.6.04 Ames

Fan#41 11-08-2020 08:29 AM

DMBLive 25

sean52692 11-08-2020 12:51 PM

Alligator Pie 9/5/09 w/ Danny Barnes. It's terrible. I looked through the Almanac to find a version of AP with a guest and this seems to be the only version played with a guest.

ThememanXX 11-08-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean52692 (Post 7247627)
Alligator Pie 9/5/09 w/ Danny Barnes. It's terrible. I looked through the Almanac to find a version of AP with a guest and this seems to be the only version played with a guest.


Yeah, that was the Gorge run where Daveís voice was complete trash to the point where Barnes had to sing lead on two of his own songs during DMBís set each night. On 9/5, Alligator Pie was wedged in between those songs. Woof.

roshea999 11-09-2020 05:51 PM

SIDE OF THE ROAD!!

gweeps 11-10-2020 06:44 AM

Do You Remember studio

:nod

gweeps 11-11-2020 05:03 AM

Shotgun 2006 debut

Perhaps still the best version. I'm shocked the song has only been played 45 times.

celluloid hero 11-11-2020 01:25 PM

Giants '98 multi-AUD matrix.

Josh.0 11-11-2020 01:33 PM

I still canít believe they didnít finish and officially release Shotgun. Itís right there with JTR as shockingly bad artistic and business decisions. Theyíre both absolute powerhouses and could have really helped the band reinvent themselves to the general public throughout the 2000ís.

Instead they release Canít Stop.

dmb1981 11-11-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh.0 (Post 7248059)
I still canít believe they didnít finish and officially release Shotgun. Itís right there with JTR as shockingly bad artistic and business decisions. Theyíre both absolute powerhouses and could have really helped the band reinvent themselves to the general public throughout the 2000ís.

Instead they release Canít Stop.

Shotgun is by far no JTR but I agree, bad choice.

Tomacco 11-11-2020 02:16 PM

With every passing year, I dislike Shotgun more and more. It's like 4 mismatched bits of music that don't go together.

dmb1981 11-11-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 7248068)
With every passing year, I dislike Shotgun more and more. It's like 4 mismatched bits of music that don't go together.

I’ve never liked it. A mish mash of music, lyrics I could care less about and a bunch of yelling. Just not for me. Lumping it in with JTR is crazy talk.

greykitkat36 11-11-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 7248068)
With every passing year, I dislike Shotgun more and more. It's like 4 mismatched bits of music that don't go together.

Totally agreed. It was great in '06 and just progressively got worse. When the band tried "tightening" it up and Dave put set lyrics on it, they killed it.

vacubsfan3 11-18-2020 10:58 AM

Dave & Tim at Paramount Theater in Oakland from 1/16 and 1/17 in 2015.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.10663 seconds with 37 queries