These Days Continue

These Days Continue (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/index.php)
-   nDMBc (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   MLB Thread [2019 Season] (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/showthread.php?t=204989)

roshea999 06-24-2020 01:50 PM

I’m certain the Rockies owner didn’t want a season, so they leaked that right after the agreement came out.

Rockies have the third worst tv contract in baseball and won’t be able to sell tickets (they finished 6th in attendance last year).

I’m happy it’s back but I’m skeptical they’ll be able to finish the short season.

NiCK (Crush) 06-24-2020 08:11 PM

This just has bad news written all over it.

PGA commissionner had to make a statement today because a player and two caddies tested positive... and golf is supposed to be the "safe" one.

Mitch 06-25-2020 10:20 AM

Yeah, I'd love to see any kind of baseball we can get, but with all these COVID flare-ups around the country and stuff, I can see this thing unraveling before it even really begins.
Have they said what number or rate of infections (players, etc) they are willing to tolerate before pulling the plug?

roshea999 06-25-2020 11:11 AM

I haven’t heard that, Mitch. And I think there’s a lot of immunocompromised mlb guys - also their kids, wives, parents, etc. i just don’t think they’re going to be able to get a season in.

If golf is getting positive cases. MLB is screwed.

greykitkat36 06-26-2020 01:09 AM

I really thought they would have kept the sites where they are playing relatively low, maybe only like 3-5 stadiums, but it looks they want to keep things as is. I think if they could isolate all teams in the same state, make them stay in the same hotels the whole time, it could be done, but you're asking players to be away from their families for 2-3 months, and a lot won't do it.

The thing that annoys me is that the owners I don't think care if there is a season, in all honesty they end up losing a lot less money if they cancel the season and don't have to pay the players at all. So I don't see them really pushing and pressing for it to happen.

roshea999 06-26-2020 08:43 AM

I agree. And we know where I stand on owners :lol

This is a really bad precursor to the CBA expiring after next season (2021). There will be a labor conflict and it will result in lost games. It’s going to be ugly. Worse than 94? I hope not....

NiCK (Crush) 06-27-2020 01:55 AM

I don't understand this. It seems like daily a team is announcing COVID cases within the organization.

Remember when COVID was the reason the season didn't start? And now they've just decided it's fine despite multiple players having it, getting it and spreading it?

How are we fucking this up so badly? It's worse than it ever was after an almost 3 month shutdown.

I love baseball, I miss baseball, but this is fucking dumb.

ThememanXX 06-27-2020 06:41 AM

Yep, all the sports leagues (and pro wrestling) need to shut it down. Where Jon Taffer?

jeff1818 06-27-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) (Post 7235497)
I don't understand this. It seems like daily a team is announcing COVID cases within the organization.

Remember when COVID was the reason the season didn't start? And now they've just decided it's fine despite multiple players having it, getting it and spreading it?

How are we fucking this up so badly? It's worse than it ever was after an almost 3 month shutdown.

I love baseball, I miss baseball, but this is fucking dumb.

baseball is mimicking the rest of the country. open up the beaches, water parks, malls etc because fat americans demand it. cases will go up until a vaccine.

K270 06-29-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff1818 (Post 7235505)
baseball is mimicking the rest of the country. open up the beaches, water parks, malls etc because fat americans demand it. cases will go up until a vaccine.

Santa Cruz County gave up trying to enforce the beach closures. So they decided to open up the beaches.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Wildcats82 06-30-2020 05:00 PM

Minor league officially cancelled for the year

NiCK (Crush) 07-04-2020 12:19 AM

I may have to get used to rooting for a different team name soon.

K270 07-04-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) (Post 7235888)
I may have to get used to rooting for a different team name soon.

I wonder if Kansas City is considering a name change to? Or at least a logo change? Same goes with Florida State. Are they considering a change?

Jack 07-04-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K270 (Post 7235906)
I wonder if Kansas City is considering a name change to? Or at least a logo change? Same goes with Florida State. Are they considering a change?

I think they should let the Native Americans decide that, and not an overly sensitive white PC mob. Redskins and Chief Wahoo are clearly racist, and those should be moved on from imho, but the other names arenít necessarily negative (but you can certainly argue the tomahawk chop etc are) and if the Seminoles, Sioux etc are fine with them, why do they need to be changed? If they want them changed, then change them asap imho.

typsitch 07-05-2020 10:54 AM

9 out of 10 NAs don't find Redskins offensive either. Generally speaking, it does raise the question of what percentage of a group is required to enforce change within that group? Assuming that majority is too high a bar to reach to ensure minority voices are heard, where should the line be drawn? Is 10% really enough? 5%? 1%? 1 in a million?

Wildcats82 07-05-2020 05:14 PM

Feeling that the character presented an offensive Mexican stereotype, Cartoon Network shelved Speedy's films when it gained exclusive rights to broadcast them in 1999 (as a subsidiary of Time Warner, Cartoon Network is a corporate sibling to Warner Bros.). In an interview with Fox News on March 28, 2002, Cartoon Network spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg commented, "It hasn't been on the air for years because of its ethnic stereotypes."[6]

Despite such controversy over potentially offensive characterizations, Speedy Gonzales remained a popular character in Latin America.[6] The Hispanic-American rights organization League of United Latin American Citizens called Speedy a cultural icon, and thousands of users registered their support of the character on the hispaniconline.com message boards. Fan campaigns to put Speedy back on the air resulted in the return of the animated shorts to Cartoon Network in 2002.[7]

sean52692 07-18-2020 07:02 PM

Practice baseball, some tunes, and some beer tonight. Nice!

NiCK (Crush) 07-22-2020 09:22 PM

The "season" starts tomorrow and the Blue Jays still don't have a home ball field. Insane.

NiCK (Crush) 07-22-2020 09:23 PM

Also - they are trying to finalize a 16 team postseason but they need to get it done by tomorrow as well.

Wildcats82 07-23-2020 07:12 AM

t-mobile gave me a free year of MLB.tv again. I watched a little bit last night. It was strange