These Days Continue

These Days Continue (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/index.php)
-   nDMBc (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The "I Love Where I Live" Thread (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/showthread.php?t=206903)

JamSession v2.0 06-10-2018 12:59 PM

The "I Love Where I Live" Thread
 
Do you love where you live? What's so great about it?

I live in the Blue Ridge of SW Virginia and absolutely love Roanoke. Just enough going on with the microbrewing scene so that it's not oversaturated (yet). Beautiful scenery, Blue Ridge Parkway, and a burgeoning music scene.

Upshot: Virginia Tech being 30 miles down the road is helping recharge the economy. City leadership is pretty good at managing a balance between business interests and community needs.

Downshot: A lot of areas w/in the city itself and outlying areas have problems with opioid usage and overdoses.

What about where you live?

mja271 06-10-2018 01:09 PM

I live in CT. Not exactly the sexiest location and lord knows the state has a ton of issues but I'm surrounded by friends and family so it works great for me. Love the house and town I live in. Good access to some really good restaurants and breweries. Not too far from New Haven as well which is a really fun place to eat and drink; lots of wonderful spots. I also enjoy the relatively central nature to Boston and New York, I never feel very far from anything I want to do.

Garntd 06-10-2018 02:33 PM

New Orleans

upshot: food, culture, music, festivals, Mardi Gras

downshot: it's essentially a real life Grand Theft Auto these days

roshea999 06-10-2018 03:15 PM

Denver

upshot: mountains, weed, music, good people, sunshine, good beer, access to the rest of of Colorado
downshot: cost of living is high and climbing, public transit is pretty weak, local food is average at best, no water

Chicago will always be home
upshot: world class city with regards to food, architecture, nightlife. Extensive public transit, lake michigan/chicago river, wrigley field.
downshot: winter, large swaths of the South/Southwest side, especially corrupt politics, the rest of the state of illinois.

DMBTex10101 06-10-2018 03:31 PM

I go back and forth regularly as to whether I like being back home in TX.

I live in a suburban town south of Ft. Worth. But I'm at the furthest south end of the town which is pretty rural. Both Ft. Worth and Dallas are within a 45 min drive for me. In either city, things are much better, but out where I am it's miserable.

Upshot: the food, people are always smiling and are genuinely nice on the surface, so many stars at night, cost of living is decent

Downshot: it is so fucking hot here, way too many ignorant people outside the cities (and it's a bad time to be around ignorant people), every highway is a tollroad these days, traffic

Both mine and my wife's family are within about 10 minutes of our house, which is good and bad. At least the kids are getting to see their grandparents, aunts, and uncles regularly. All that being said, I'm frequently reminded how much I miss living in Northern VA. The food sucked and the people could be rude as hell, but at least they weren't focused on making other people's lives miserable . . . oh and seasons, Virginia has seasons (what a concept!)

ThememanXX 06-10-2018 03:49 PM

Northeast PA is kind of a shit hole, stuck in the past, really narrow-minded and went hard for Trump.

I love my neighborhood/community and wouldn’t trade it, though.

Fan#41 06-10-2018 04:31 PM

I love living just outside of Boston. My specific location is great, about a 8 minute walk to the subway (2 stops from TD Garden), just 5 minute drive to the highway, 5 minute walk to movie theater, shops and tons of restaurants. 2 hours from White Mountains, hour to the cape and islands, swanky eats and dive bars, hipersvilles and snootytowns, working-class areas, college bro neighborhoods. Just like anywhere, it has its advantages and complete annoyances, but the ease of access to so many places is the biggest reason I love it here.

sean52692 06-10-2018 07:32 PM

I'd love where I live if you could pick up the entirety of Cook County and just punt it into space. :lol

sdaltons 06-11-2018 09:13 AM

Is there a "where I live is fine I guess" thread?

JamSession v2.0 06-11-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdaltons (Post 7175046)
Is there a "where I live is fine I guess" thread?

Well, not ideally, no. Ideally, we'd share what we love, if anything, about where we live and things that can be improved upon.

it's a social experimento, motherufcker.

Josh.0 06-11-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshea999 (Post 7174853)
Denver

upshot: mountains, weed, music, good people, sunshine, good beer, access to the rest of of Colorado
downshot: cost of living is high and climbing, public transit is pretty weak, local food is average at best, no water

Agreed on all of these things, though the lack of water doesn’t bother me and I think the food scene is actually strong depending on where you go or what you’re looking for.

As others have seen me post about before, the real killer is cost of living, and a LOT of people here are really interested in seeing what the next few years holds for the area.

sdaltons 06-11-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 (Post 7175057)
Well, not ideally, no. Ideally, we'd share what we love, if anything, about where we live and things that can be improved upon.

it's a social experimento, motherufcker.

Ok. St Louis.

There are a lot of nice things to do for free, such as the zoo, and it's pretty fun to go to a Cardinals game.

Things that need to be improved on: let's see...murder, crime, race relations

.Gary. 06-11-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garntd (Post 7174844)
New Orleans



downshot: it's essentially a real life Grand Theft Auto these days

That's an upshot if you ask the right people.

dmb2much40 06-11-2018 08:08 PM

Cleveland: it’s not as bad as everyone thinks! There’s a great metro parks system with hiking/biking trails, the largest theatre district in the country outside broadway and the cost of living is dirt cheap. We have some pretty good breweries and celebrity chef scene. The downside is complete ineptness of city government and lack of good employment opportunities.

JamSession v2.0 06-11-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb2much40 (Post 7175292)
Cleveland: itís not as bad as everyone thinks! Thereís a great metro parks system with hiking/biking trails, the largest theatre district in the country outside broadway and the cost of living is dirt cheap. We have some pretty good breweries and celebrity chef scene. The downside is complete ineptness of city government and lack of good employment opportunities.

I was back there a couple weekends ago. Tremont still has its kitschy feel and a lot of my friends from college live in Detroit/Shoreway.

dmb2much40 06-11-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 (Post 7175293)
I was back there a couple weekends ago. Tremont still has its kitschy feel and a lot of my friends from college live in Detroit/Shoreway.

Detroit/shoreway is amazing how it turned around. Lots of cool places there. I live in Lakewood, mainly because I have kids and the whole school situation.

Fan#41 06-12-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb2much40 (Post 7175292)
Cleveland: itís not as bad as everyone thinks! Thereís a great metro parks system with hiking/biking trails, the largest theatre district in the country outside broadway and the cost of living is dirt cheap. We have some pretty good breweries and celebrity chef scene. The downside is complete ineptness of city government and lack of good employment opportunities.

Not to dog your city Monica, but I still love this:


roshea999 06-12-2018 09:54 AM

:lol

One other Denver note that I try to not take for granted. I get to see my favorite artist Thursday night at Red Rocks. It's always a treat.

Monica, I've heard good things about Cleveland. My GF's dad grew up there (Shaker Heights) in the 60's and keeps saying he wants to buy property there again. Hows that neighborhood these days? This is a guy who spent most of the 70's living in a van in a canyon here outside Boulder.

JamSession v2.0 06-12-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshea999 (Post 7175380)
:lol

One other Denver note that I try to not take for granted. I get to see my favorite artist Thursday night at Red Rocks. It's always a treat.

Monica, I've heard good things about Cleveland. My GF's dad grew up there (Shaker Heights) in the 60's and keeps saying he wants to buy property there again. Hows that neighborhood these days? This is a guy who spent most of the 70's living in a van in a canyon here outside Boulder.

Shaker is an upscale suburb.

JamSession v2.0 06-12-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan#41 (Post 7175376)
Not to dog your city Monica, but I still love this:


who the fuck still uses a payphone?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.05384 seconds with 24 queries