These Days Continue

These Days Continue (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/index.php)
-   nDMBc (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Ryan Adams Thread (http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/showthread.php?t=204948)

roshea999 10-05-2011 04:38 PM

Can't be the only fan on here (couldn't find a thread).

Anyone listen to the new record yet? He sounds better than ever.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

madcaphijinks 10-05-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshea999 (Post 6781356)
Can't be the only fan on here (couldn't find a thread).

Anyone listen to the new record yet? He sounds better than ever.

That plus, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

has pretty much been my listening all week.

FiddySpence 10-05-2011 08:08 PM

is it a proper leak of the album?

roshea999 10-06-2011 12:15 AM

Proper leak?

FiddySpence 10-06-2011 12:29 AM

like a rip of the cd or something instead of a webrip

inmytree 10-06-2011 09:51 AM

Ryan Adams is at it again! :lol

So much cringe-worthy stuff in that thread.

I like his older stuff, but I realized that his behavior started making me hate him the worse his music got.

FiddySpence 10-06-2011 01:38 PM

yeah but this new record is supposed to be excellent.

i've only listened to one song off it but it was great, i can't wait

you'd think sobriety would have evened him out a bit

dmb6743 10-06-2011 03:05 PM

I don't really care what kind of person he is, because his music is fantastic.

abw123 10-06-2011 03:27 PM

Can't wait to hear the new album.

Funny guy to see live, because (good as he is) the whole crowd is on pins and needles waiting to see which jackass is going to yell something out that pisses him off and sours the whole evening. Makes for an edgy show.

roshea999 10-06-2011 04:59 PM

You can stream the album on that site I linked above.

The title track is the best song on the record, but it's very good. So much better than the last two from the Cardinals (three if you count III/IV).

I landed great seats for his solo Chicago show. Hope the crowd shuts up.

roshea999 10-06-2011 05:01 PM

I know Ryan Adams can be a brat, but I love his music. If I turned of musicians because I thought they were douchebags, I wouldn't be posting on DMB message board.

inmytree 10-07-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissident (Post 6781475)
yeah but this new record is supposed to be excellent.

i've only listened to one song off it but it was great, i can't wait

you'd think sobriety would have evened him out a bit

Yeah, I don't really mind if a musician's a jackass. It's just that...I like Ryan Adams; he's really good. But to me, he's made maybe one or two great albums, a fair amount of good stuff and a fair bunch of shit. If he was some Dylan-esque genius or something, I'd be fine with it. So it's not arrogance and douchebaggery that bother me; just when it's unearned. Ryan seems to play up the "I'm a tortured, crazy, unpredictable genius" thing, and when it doesn't meet reality, it just seems stupid.

FiddySpence 10-07-2011 02:29 PM

he's made one or two excellent albums, imo, a handful of really good ones, and one or two turds. not bad output.

roshea999 10-07-2011 03:37 PM

Some people take issue with the sheer volume of material he puts out (officially and bootlegs). I love it. Yes, there is a chunk if it that does nothing for me (Orion, most of III/IV), but it's cool to have. Wish DMB had nearly as much out there... well. 90's DMB. I don't need bootlegs of blackjack.

He has written some incredible songs, though.

inmytree 10-07-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissident (Post 6781610)
he's made one or two excellent albums, imo, a handful of really good ones, and one or two turds. not bad output.

I agree, it's a good run. It just gets harder to put up with a massive douchebag when it's a good run, as opposed to "oh my God, this guy's an incredible genius, who cares?' I feel like he wants to be the insane, irritable genius more than he actually is one.

But that being said, his new album's pretty good, and nobody can fuck with Cold Roses and Heartbreaker.

inmytree 10-07-2011 03:44 PM

Yeah, the people who get pissed about how much he puts out make no sense to me. I understand if he's putting it out and most of it's crap (the past few years), but from 2000-2005 he was putting out a lot of stuff, and most of it was good.

FiddySpence 10-07-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inmytree (Post 6781627)
I agree, it's a good run. It just gets harder to put up with a massive douchebag when it's a good run, as opposed to "oh my God, this guy's an incredible genius, who cares?' I feel like he wants to be the insane, irritable genius more than he actually is one.

i don't know, he's pretty insane and irritable.

Crush87 10-07-2011 04:04 PM

New album is good. Dirty Rain is up there with some other greats of his

abw123 10-07-2011 04:34 PM

Deleted. Double post

abw123 10-07-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshea999 (Post 6781623)
Some people take issue with the sheer volume of material he puts out (officially and bootlegs). I love it. Yes, there is a chunk if it that does nothing for me (Orion, most of III/IV), but it's cool to have. Wish DMB had nearly as much out there... well. 90's DMB. I don't need bootlegs of blackjack.

He has written some incredible songs, though.

Agreed with this. I went out and got all the unreleased albums a few years ago, and he has something like 500 original songs (including Whiskeytown) - an absolutely immense number for a 15 year career - and the vast majority of it is either really good or at least, worth having. Orion may be the exception to that rule.

For anyone who doesn't already have the unreleased albums, this thread has them all and tons more: